white rocks stopped laying

chickenkid99

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I have 6 white rock hens, all 8 months old, they are free range, they stopped laying about 2 weeks ago after I started feeding them oyster shell and DuMor chicken layer crumbles from tractor supply, I used to feed them Purina layena sunfresh recipe crumbles, they didn't completely stop laying I get about 2 eggs a day. When they where fed Purina they didn't get any oyster shell or grit. They have been fed crumbles for their whole life. These are my first chickens so I don't have much experience, just from viewing this forum. What can be the problem and how can I help.

If they free range, they may have found a new place they prefer to lay their eggs. But, it is more likely the ever shortening days have caught up with them. You can do nothing and wait for spring, or you can supplement their lighting by having a light come on at 5 am until 8 am. This amount of pre-dawn light will generally spur them on.

Ok thanks, I will try the ldea with the light and see if it helps. I also will check to see if they have been laying anywhere else, our backyard is only about 3/4 acre so they should be easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom