White Silkie chicken with irritated and bloody anus.

I'm absolutely no expert but I do read a lot and did a year of college towards a nursing degree. From what you describe I feel suspicious about the sphincter muscles, they do not sound to be working as they should. I worked with elderly patients who had seemingly similar rectal issues.
With the frequency and volume that chickens poop, I can predict that any obstruction will cause mayhem with the consistency of the poo that gets compacted in the intestinal tract trying to get out.

It has to be quite painful.

Let us know what the vet says!

Hi guys!
Came back from the vet.

The Dr. gave me a lot of stuff for her :)

She will be fine and her situation came of no surprise to him. He said this is common in chickens.

The excess skin is due to her having diarrhea; her vent, once the anti-biotic kicks in, will get back to normal.

He instructed to give her water with Gatorade through a tube. Showed me what the respiratory track looked liked (and to avoid it) and told me where to stick in the tube to feed her the water with Gatorade.

He gave me a (general ;both for positive and negative gram bacteria) antibiotic to get her going.

I will collect poo samples and he will give me a more specific anti-biotic for her next week :)

He also gave me some water based lubricant for her vent to aid with deification.

I just wanted to say thank you guys :)

:) Cynthia

This is one of those things that you have to take your chicken into the vet for. He has to look at her stools and identify the harmful bacteria and prescribe the right anti biotic to eliminate that specific bacteria.

Unless someone is a vet or a biologist, taking the chicken to the vet is the best way to go. :)

I'm glad that you were able to get her seen be the vet, and that he is confident that she will be okay. I would suggest again that she should probably receive probiotics as well, especially now that she is on an antibiotic. Antifungal medications are also commonly used in treating vent gleet. It's good that she is in good hands. Give us an update later and let us know the drugs that she was treated with and whether they worked--it helps us to learn.

Probiotics? I can call the vet and ask him (Dr. Ben).

He did tell me that the Gatorade would help aid her as a probiotic. However, I am not sure what he even meant until I got all the information and had to re-read it twice at home. He said to make her drink (through a tube) 1.25cc of water and 1.25cc of Gatorade mixed together twice a day.The dosage depends on the weight of the bird (that is what he told me).

He also had me look at her respiratory track vs. where her crop was. If you read anything online they will tell you it is dangerous to feed anything to your chicken because you might insert the food/liquid down the respiratory track instead of the crop.

The ointment is a Anti-fungal medication that I must apply once a day to help her vent. He said that it is a water based ointment not oil based. He stated that oil based ointments can cause more harm than good. Gave me gloves, a syringe, and the ointment for application.

The antibiotic (general): Sulfadimethoxine Sol
30ml for one gallon of water is the dosage. All birds can have it even if they are not sick. If laying (which mine are not) there is an egg withdraw.

I was instructed by him to give this in their regular drinking water until I can get the poo samples for him to look at.

Hopefully I can collect all 6 of them by monday. Her poo is runny and not too solid so it is hard to get samples from her.

:) I will be updating later once I get the poo samples looked at and the right antibiotic.
Cynthia

I had to come to this new vet place as where I take my reptile they do not see chickens. Many vets around my area do not see chickens and I am glad I found this new place. The visit was 101.00 dollars which was not too bad (the poo sample exam included). I pay that just for my turtle to get seen by his doctor :)

Probios Dispersible Powder is a good probiotic to add to the water once she is finished with the sufladimethoxine, a sulfa antibiotic. After antibiotics, and with fungal infections, probiotics are very necessary. Gatorade contains electrolytes. There are good products at farm stores that contain vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics all in one powder for the water.

Last edited:
Ok will get the one you mentioned online.

I can order it and it should be here by next week.

Looks like you are familiar and knowledgeable with this situation. Are you a vet? :)

Ok will get the one you mentioned online.

I can order it and it should be here by next week.

Looks like you are familiar and knowledgeable with this situation. Are you a vet? :)
Nope, not a vet, just a chicken lover. The Probios may be at your feed store. Tractor Supply usually carries small and large jars. Gro2Max is another good brand specifically for chickens. It is pricey online, but in bulk it is a better bargain here: http://www.amazon.com/Gro-2-max-Poultry-Probiotic-Supplement-17-5/dp/B00BILPIRK
And here is a link for Probios: http://www.amazon.com/Bomac-Vets-Plus-683008-PROBIOS-POWDER-CHR404/dp/B001BM1QRC

Probiotics? I can call the vet and ask him (Dr. Ben).

He did tell me that the Gatorade would help aid her as a probiotic. However, I am not sure what he even meant until I got all the information and had to re-read it twice at home. He said to make her drink (through a tube) 1.25cc of water and 1.25cc of Gatorade mixed together twice a day.The dosage depends on the weight of the bird (that is what he told me).

He also had me look at her respiratory track vs. where her crop was. If you read anything online they will tell you it is dangerous to feed anything to your chicken because you might insert the food/liquid down the respiratory track instead of the crop.

The ointment is a Anti-fungal medication that I must apply once a day to help her vent. He said that it is a water based ointment not oil based. He stated that oil based ointments can cause more harm than good. Gave me gloves, a syringe, and the ointment for application.

The antibiotic (general): Sulfadimethoxine Sol
30ml for one gallon of water is the dosage. All birds can have it even if they are not sick. If laying (which mine are not) there is an egg withdraw.

I was instructed by him to give this in their regular drinking water until I can get the poo samples for him to look at.

Hopefully I can collect all 6 of them by monday. Her poo is runny and not too solid so it is hard to get samples from her.

:) I will be updating later once I get the poo samples looked at and the right antibiotic.
Cynthia

I had to come to this new vet place as where I take my reptile they do not see chickens. Many vets around my area do not see chickens and I am glad I found this new place. The visit was 101.00 dollars which was not too bad (the poo sample exam included). I pay that just for my turtle to get seen by his doctor :)

You might want to double check with the vet on the amount of fluid. If your bird is not drinking, that is not enough, so please call him back and ask. FYI, my little silkie sized hens get 30-60ml of fluids twice a day and my larger hens 90-120ml twice a day.

-Kathy

This is one of those things that you have to take your chicken into the vet for. He has to look at her stools and identify the harmful bacteria and prescribe the right anti biotic to eliminate that specific bacteria.

Unless someone is a vet or a biologist, taking the chicken to the vet is the best way to go. :)

Almost every vet will tell you that, lol. But in many cases it's not necessarily true. However it takes a fair bit of knowledge to know what those cases are and distinguish them from the cases best for the vet, so in your case, the vet was the best bet. For newbies in general, it is, well, as long as they can access a vet that knows anything much about poultry, that is.

He did tell me that the Gatorade would help aid her as a probiotic.

It's not a probiotic. :/

Did he perhaps call it a 'pre'-biotic? The sucrose and other nutrients in Gatorade could be defined as prebiotics, but not probiotics.

However, I am not sure what he even meant until I got all the information and had to re-read it twice at home. He said to make her drink (through a tube) 1.25cc of water and 1.25cc of Gatorade mixed together twice a day.The dosage depends on the weight of the bird (that is what he told me).

As Kathy said that does not sound like enough... Unless perhaps she's already drinking sufficiently unaided, and this is more of a 'top up' or treatment?

It depends how you do it. It's a good skill to learn because lots of chooks die for want of a vet being open, knowledgeable, or affordable; it's really an emergency skill.

Regarding putting a tube down her throat, there's much info online on how to safely feed your bird this way, in fact Kathy (casportpony) here is one person who knows how it's done properly. This site here is full of good info.

Anyway, good luck, hope your bird is well soon.

Best wishes.

I personally have tube fed a chicken,drained and treated for ascites,with no issues at all,so yes it is possible to become knowledgeable regarding issues that can affect our birds,know what treatments should be applied and know what medications can be given.

Back
Top Bottom