White Silkie chicken with irritated and bloody anus.

I personally have tube fed a chicken,drained and treated for ascites,with no issues at all,so yes it is possible to become knowledgeable regarding issues that can affect our birds,know what treatments should be applied and know what medications can be given.

I agree, it's also necessary for a lot of cases, treatment must be given at home as well or even solely because waiting on the vet will let the animal die.

But generally most vets, depending on their ethics and the knowledgability of the animal owner, will tell you when that's necessary. Some will have you calling them for anything and everything most poultry keepers do themselves, though, just to make an easy buck. ;)

I wish more vets would take some time and explain/show people how to tube and give subcutaneous fluids. Just a few minutes in the vet's office and a vet should be able to tell if it's within the owners ability or not. Of course some will be too timid, but I think there are many that could learn.

-Kathy

Thanks for all the info guys :)

I will go and get him the poo samples and ask him all of the questions you guys presented.

Please do not feel offended because of my statement about getting the chicken into the vet. Like you guys said I am new to all of this. Learning about chickens and their anatomy is something completely new to me.

I was freaking out thinking my chicken was going to die; so I rushed her to the vet after not knowing what was going on.

The one thing that I dislike about antibiotics (just as in humans) is that once it has been given too many times your body becomes immune and thus you need something stronger. (Or am I completely off?) XP

I am just glad I have you guys here. I will ask him further questions and post back.

I hope that one day I can also be as diligent and knowledgeable about chicken keeping (care) like you guys. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys :)

I will go and get him the poo samples and ask him all of the questions you guys presented.

Please do not feel offended because of my statement about getting the chicken into the vet. Like you guys said I am new to all of this. Learning about chickens and their anatomy is something completely new to me.

Don't worry, nobody here is offended. I've seen nothing in the comments that was anything less than supportive.

Often we suggest someone take a bird to a vet but many can't afford it. It's great you can.

There's some things we should all learn to do at home too, that's all we're suggesting.

The vet is supposed to recommend you never do anything at home, always bring the animal in, since there are regulations about home treatments by non qualified people, but in reality that's not always feasible and many animals would die if everyone only relied on the vet, hence why many vets actually teach people how to do some emergency procedures at home.

I was freaking out thinking my chicken was going to die; so I rushed her to the vet after not knowing what was going on.

The one thing that I dislike about antibiotics (just as in humans) is that once it has been given too many times your body becomes immune and thus you need something stronger. (Or am I completely off?) XP

You're not completely off, no, lol... They do gradually lose their power, some faster than others, because the things they're used against continually adapt to them, becoming more and more resistant.

It's not your body or the animal's body becoming more resistant necessarily, it's the harmful bacteria etc that is becoming stronger against it. Eventually they become effectively immune. Part of the problem is how widespread antibiotic use is against even mild problems, so the problems the antibiotics are used against are getting stronger everywhere those antibiotics are used.

Another problem is that antibiotics kill beneficial bacteria etc as well, so can do short-term or even permanent damage. Some individuals are far more sensitive than others, and liver and intestinal damage is not uncommon, which can leave an animal or human in a bad state for life after just one dose of antibiotics. Some antibiotics permanently eradicate certain species of probiotics from the gut, which is a problem that predisposes them to malnutrition, some cancers, some viruses, etc.

I am just glad I have you guys here. I will ask him further questions and post back.

I hope that one day I can also be as diligent and knowledgeable about chicken keeping (care) like you guys. :)

You almost certainly will be, lol. Best wishes.

Hello guys!

Well I have not been able to get the poo samples.

Her poo is runny and there is barely any.

What can I do?

The doctor wants to see her again....I am not sure if I want to go back in.

I am not sure if in a week I am seeing results.
She is still hurting, her vent looks yukky, and now I am thinking that maybe going to the vet like you guys say is... useless.

What do you guys advice?

I can pay again for them to see her, but it feels like they are sucking my money now. :/

She is drinking on her own plus the water/Gatorade I am giving her.
She eats and drinks.

So...??

Hello guys!

Well I have not been able to get the poo samples.

Her poo is runny and there is barely any.

What can I do?

I'm thinking that if it's been so many days since you last posted, and you've been unable to get any poo samples... Your chook may be heading into dire straits. These sorts of conditions run the animal down the longer they have them.

The doctor wants to see her again....I am not sure if I want to go back in.

I am not sure if in a week I am seeing results.
She is still hurting, her vent looks yukky, and now I am thinking that maybe going to the vet like you guys say is... useless.

I don't think anyone meant that it's useless to see the vet; some vets aren't good with birds, but some are. It sounds to me like this vet did the standard sort of thing any vet would do so far, and he's waiting for more info to decide his next step, but the info provided by her poops isn't forthcoming so that may be a problem in his diagnostic plan. He can't help if he doesn't know what it is, of course.

How is she hurting? That's not good.

She may have something like bacillary white diarrhea, an infectious disease which can kill them... Have no idea why I didn't think of that before...

It can cause such inflammation and burning of the intestines and vent that the bird struggles to poop and often cries out while it does so because of the pain.

As the name suggests, it causes white or partly white diarrhea. It's a killer.

I only ever had it in one chick, and treated it with slippery elm bark powder mixed with honey, a teaspoon a few times a day, fed to the chick (slippery elm bark is an antiseptic mucilage with antibiotic properties, which both coats the intestines and mucosal tract with soothing gel and kills the pathogens there)...

The chick recovered fully within 48 hours and didn't infect any others. I used Lucas's pawpaw ointment on its vent, very soothing stuff for burns, raw flesh, etc, used it before on a chook that had its whole thigh skinned for example. Pawpaw ointment on the bare muscle, vaseline on top of that, it grew new skin within a few days and healed completely and I just left it running around normally, no caging. Course, it helps that I selected against cannibals... Aaaaaanyway...

What do you guys advice?

Sounds to me like your chook is on a downwards trend and if you don't get this turned around you're going to lose her, sorry.

I can pay again for them to see her, but it feels like they are sucking my money now. :/

They are, but that's just the nature of their industry. It does cost a lot, which is why when possible and reasonable you should learn to do anything you can at home, but there's limits to that. If you don't know what's wrong, or how to fix it, and your chook is only getting worse, what options do you have?

She is drinking on her own plus the water/Gatorade I am giving her.
She eats and drinks.

So, she's eating and drinking normally, but it's all coming out as diarrhea, yet not enough to collect a sample? Or, are you not collecting samples because it's diarrhea, waiting for the more solid stuff?

So...??

It's up to you, but I would be considering this pretty serious, possibly worth trying the vet again, since long-term diarrhea kills.

She needs to be improving as soon as possible, the longer she goes like this the lower her chances of full recovery are. Depending on what's causing this, she may be suffering progressive gastrointestinal tract damage which could scar it for life and ensure she dies of a common mild disease healthier chooks cope with, or dies because she can't digest food normally with the damaged digestive tract.

Best wishes.

Thanks for all of your help. You are right the doc does not know unless I bring in the poo samples.

I did manage to get more poo samples, but today is thanksgiving and they are closed. I will try to get the poo samples in as soon as they open up.

She does have green runny poo with some white in it.
It can cause such inflammation and burning of the intestines and vent that the bird struggles to poop and often cries out while it does so because of the pain.
She does cry out when she poos and I know it hurts her.

Ok the honey thing I can buy in Walgreens the ointment I have to order online. I will try your route too.

I will try to get her to the vet this upcoming Monday asap.

Sounds to me like your chook is on a downwards trend and if you don't get this turned around you're going to lose her, sorry.

Unfortunately you are correct. She is not doing well at all.I will keep watching her. Yesterday she was eating, but not today :(

Should I give her food and water through the tube? If so how much?

Today is a holiday and everything is closed including the vet.

You should tube lots of fluids (Pedialyte)to her, 15.ml per pound every few hours. Also go to pets mart before they close and get some Kaytee Baby Bird Food. Do you have a tube and 30, 35 or 60ml syringe? If not, you also need those. Do not tube food until she is properly hydrated or you can kill her.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Ok so I just called the vet.

He said that tomorrow they are open and that I should drop the poo samples. I have enough poo samples in there so I will do that.

He also said that he has a feed formula (food) and a new antibiotic for her so I can tube feed her.

I do have the tube and the syringe.

He told me to keep her hydrated until I can pick up the food and the new antibiotic.
He instructed Gatorade and water. I think I should do the Pedialyte though.

Should I start feeding her like you said or follow the docs instructions?

I just don't want her to die.
She is standing up and sleeping right now.

Poo is green runny and it smells really bad. She had runny poo since she was a chick. I can't believe that I just let this go on for so long. I am new to chickens and just thought she was not cleaning herself. I learned a big lesson...

Last edited:
I will go out and buy the Pedialyte, but will wait on the food formula that the doc has for her.

Thank you Kathy for warning me about killing her is she is not hydrated enough.

I read other posts similar to mine and have followed your tube feeding guidelines Kathy. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom