White silkie sexing at 10 weeks

ChoctawChickens

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
I have two of the most notoriously difficult breeds to sex - silkies and black copper Marans. I'm fine simply waiting on my BCMs, as I have a hint even when young. On the other hand, where others see a comb or not on a silkie, I am oblivious. The wind is always blowing here in Oklahoma, so I seem to have a hard time deciding whether the "poof" on the head is a poof or if the wind is pushing the poof in some strange direction! I need help! At this point, I'm not too hopeful that I even have one hen, but who knows? I'm the type of owner who seems to have a 5 to 1 male to female ratio with my BCMs and I wonder if that hasn't infected my silkie sex ratio too! Below is the first of four birds... Please let me know what you think!
!

Bird #2

Bird 3

And the final candidate!

Last edited:
Nevermind about age. I see they are 10 weeks. I'd say it's still possible they could all be pullets but with silkies sometime you have to wait until they crow or lay an egg.

Too funny! The title of the post, which nittanyxi noticed, included the words "at 10 weeks". It was there for you educated guessers! Almost three weeks later, one has developed the "poof" very clearly, but the other three are still a little smaller and have less crazy plumage/crest feathers. Still no changes on the combs.

Too funny! The title of the post, which nittanyxi noticed, included the words "at 10 weeks". It was there for you educated guessers! Almost three weeks later, one has developed the "poof" very clearly, but the other three are still a little smaller and have less crazy plumage/crest feathers. Still no changes on the combs.

What did they end up being? I have 2 one of mine looks like yours. My other has a huge comb and wattles and they are only 10 weeks and he started crowing this morning lol crazy he also tries to plucm the feathers out of my 16 week old speckled sussex hen. Hes going back to the farm he came from Saturday. Still waiting to know what the other is, if yours turned to be girls i may have a chance

Back
Top Bottom