White Silkie with single black feather - colour Qs

I'll tag @RoostersAreAwesome for the genetics. I believe the white in Silkies is dominant. Now I'll be the first to tell you that I am not one that picks up the genetics stuff so easily. I may be mistaken but I believe that is what roostersareawesome told me while we were discussing a color I was hoping to breed into my flock. It seems like white Silkies and Cochins are dominant. My white bantam Cochin had a feather with a black smudge on it and after his annual molt, the feather grew back in with more black leakage than before. My white Silkie has just a teeny tiny place with black leakage. Maybe since it's an entire black feather on your bird, things are different. I'm anxious to learn 😁 I'd love to see your little cutie if you have a chance 💜
He won’t stay still for a proper photograph but I’ll see what I can do! Maybe a screenshot from video…
Silkies come in both dominant and recessive white. Yours has dominant white, and is technically a paint due to his genetics, even if he doesn’t look like one.
I was hoping he is a Paint! 🥳

Here’s a screenshot from video. Hope it doesn’t show up too blurry!

Attachments

• 40249127-6D6E-43A0-B317-99D7F183BC5B.jpeg
    40249127-6D6E-43A0-B317-99D7F183BC5B.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the tag!😊
The majority of white Silkies are recessive white.
You need dominant white to make paint.
This boy looks to be paint, though I do not see his black feathers. He may develop more black as he gets older, but not much at this point. You should still be able to use him to create paints with a good black female without leakage.
Paints often have lighter eyes, sometimes some green in them, or green and black, but I have not seen orange eyes.

@LadiesAndJane is very knowledgeable with all things Silkie (amongst other things 💜)
My brain isn't working so well to help me remember some of the other members that are heavy on Silkie knowledge. I'm so sorry I can't be of more help

@Amer is a genetics expert
@Overo Mare isn't Moony extremely knowledgeable with genetics stuff too?
@EmmaRainboe
Moony was Amer's mentor once upon a time. 😉

The black feather

Attachments

• 18D582F0-B18D-4C2D-8465-CE267C30C664.jpeg
    18D582F0-B18D-4C2D-8465-CE267C30C664.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom