White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
Aloha Rebel Rouser!

Welcome to the thread! The cockerel grew up to look pretty normal and quite a fine specimen I might say. He carries the recessive white gene, that has nothing to do with his "cream" coloring. The one on the left had gold and he was eventually retired.

I have 2 of his daughters and he is their main man, so we have some incest going on. So I have a few white babies. I have no recent pics of the whites but itʻs not them who have lacing, itʻs my regular CLs. A recessive white of any breed will be pure white, whereas the lacing and other color variation genes are on a totally different chromosome.

Aloha, Puhi

Aloha Rebel Rouser!

Welcome to the thread! The cockerel grew up to look pretty normal and quite a fine specimen I might say. He carries the recessive white gene, that has nothing to do with his "cream" coloring. The one on the left had gold and he was eventually retired.

I have 2 of his daughters and he is their main man, so we have some incest going on. So I have a few white babies. I have no recent pics of the whites but itʻs not them who have lacing, itʻs my regular CLs. A recessive white of any breed will be pure white, whereas the lacing and other color variation genes are on a totally different chromosome.

Aloha, Puhi
He is a very lovely male you have there.

Aloha Rebel Rouser!

Aloha, Puhi
What a handsome guy you have Puhi!

Okay. I must have read the post wrong about the lacing. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm just trying to get the scoop on these guys. According to the Cream Legbar Hybrid thread...some of the supposedly purebreds are not breeding true color wise.
hmm.png
I'm not really surprised as I've seen other animals that have been imported into this country that had questionable genetics. Heck, plenty of animals have questionable genetics in this country,lol

I have a couple of cockerels I got recently (my first) and I think they are light but time will tell as to adult color.

Aloha,

For cream legbars, my rooster is an good example from the first importation. The SOP perhaps calls for less brown on the shoulders and the triangle should be white, and more barring action in the hackles and saddle.

The second importation is called the Rees line. They have a LOT of cream and gray and less of the color that us Americans grew accustomed to. It is supposed to be more close to the Brittish SOP and therefore more desirable to some. I prefer the first line myself. Some of the folks on this blog have created some very nice specimens that I feel should model the American SOP.

Some people said you can stretch out the cockerelsʻ wings and look for color there and if there is brown then you might be dealing with gold instead of cream.

Of course more learned people who follow the 2 main Cream legbar threads can comment better on these things. This thread is about recessive white Cream Legbars.

Aloha, Puhi

Joining the conversation…new pairing, white sport!

Finally had a really strong cream pairing, and this showed up in my first test hatch…did not get any white sports in the next hatch, so that's less than 25% overall, although a small sample so far...

I would have preferred a pullet, as usual, but I may keep this WS boy to test my foundation flock. I know which hen to start with, which would rule out the rooster, or not. I've had lots of other breeding combinations, and no white sports until now...

Aloha,

If two parents are normal colored but carry the recessive white gene(heterozygous), about 1/4 of the chicks should be white. But if not all of your hens are carriers, then the percentage should go down.

Theyʻre very pretty as adults.

Aloha, Puhi

If anyone in S. Cal is looking for CL white sports, I have a pairing in my flock that produces them about 25% of the time. So I often have one or two of the chicks available.

I also can tell that girl's eggs apart from everyone except her sister, so I can usually ship eggs that have about a 1 in 8 chance (and usually, but not always, one in every week's worth of eggs). (Except right now one of those ladies is broody. I'm not sure if it is the white carrier or not, but I guess I can figure out by what hatches out while she is not laying).

Last edited:
If anyone in S. Cal is looking for CL white sports, I have a pairing in my flock that produces them about 25% of the time. So I often have one or two of the chicks available.

I also can tell that girl's eggs apart from everyone except her sister, so I can usually ship eggs that have about a 1 in 8 chance (and usually, but not always, one in every week's worth of eggs). (Except right now one of those ladies is broody. I'm not sure if it is the white carrier or not, but I guess I can figure out by what hatches out while she is not laying).

Hi! I was just asking someone else how often they are seeing the white sports. Mine show up less than 25% of the time in the breeding pair. Have you kept any as they mature?

Back
Top Bottom