White Sport Cream Legbars

I would love to add a few white sports to my flock! So beautiful!

Does GFF's Jill Rees line throw white sports? I am intrigued.
smile.png

Yes, I have some from my Rees line.

I have C and D lines.

Last edited:
Yes, I have some from my Rees line.

I have C and D lines.
I have been looking into purchasing some chicks or hatching eggs from the Rees line. My search seems to keep circling back to GFF since they have "direct imports". I have been on GFF's website frequently but haven't taken the plunge yet. Which line of Rees Legbars does GFF have? I just see them listed as either Rees or "production cream legbars" on their website.

I have been looking into purchasing some chicks or hatching eggs from the Rees line. My search seems to keep circling back to GFF since they have "direct imports". I have been on GFF's website frequently but haven't taken the plunge yet. Which line of Rees Legbars does GFF have? I just see them listed as either Rees or "production cream legbars" on their website.

All Legbars came from GFF. I assume they have all lines or mixtures of lines. Finding Legbars now should not be hard. I am just a small farm hatchery and I know I sold over 500 of them last year.

I hope to do better this year. I have been showing them at a couple shows and seem to be mustering up some interest.

You can get them from a few of the large hatcheries. I know Meyers and MyPetCHicken have them.

By the way, people like me are a lot cheaper than GFF or the large hatcheries,

Last edited:
All Legbars came from GFF.  I assume they have all lines or mixtures of lines.  Finding Legbars now should not be hard.  I am just a small farm hatchery and I know I sold over 500 of them last year.

I hope to do better this year. I have been showing them at a couple  shows and seem to be mustering up some interest. 

You can get them from a few of the large hatcheries. I know Meyers and MyPetCHicken have them. 

By the way, people like me are a lot cheaper than GFF or the large hatcheries,

GFF are cheaper on their prices now than both Meyers and my pet chicken which baffles my mind. Lol. I have never been a fan of the large scale hatcheries.

I may pm you to inquire on your prices. Thanks! I nearly fainted when I saw the price of a white sport chick on MPC. Holy crap! Lol.

The Second Annual Cream Legbar Online, Virtual Show

The Show is being extended to December 31, 2016. We need more entries!!! Brave the cold! Get those pictures! We want to see your beautiful legbars.
smile.png

Rules for the Show:

1. Pictures of the entry birds should be unobstructed, close up views with profile views preferred.
2. Pictures should be visually appealing and taken by you.
3. Pictures must be of living birds.
4. Pictures must have been taken within two months of the show end date, December 15, 2016. Although not a requirement for this show, a digital date on the picture is helpful.
5. Pictures of birds must be posted on the Cream Legbar Club Second Annual Online, Virtual Show Facebook event page.
6. Entries will be accepted from November 2, 2016 – December 15, 2016.

Categories of Entries:

1. Varieties of Entrants: Cream Legbars, Golden Crele Legbars, and White Legbars
2. Entrants will be labelled as: Cocks, Hens, Cockerels, or Pullets

Judging and Results:

1. The best and reserve cock, hen, cockerel, and pullet for each variety will be determined.
2. The best and reserve variety will be determined from the best cock, hen, cockerel, and pullet within that variety.
3. The best and reserve in show will be determined from the best in variety champions.
4. The current Revision 4 of the draft Standard of Perfection (SOP) for the cream legbar will be used for judging. This draft SOP will also use the current drafts for the golden crele and white legbars in combined SOP format.

Awards:

1. The Best in Show and Reserve in Show winners will receive a one year paid membership to the Cream Legbar Club
2. Only one award membership will be granted per entrant.

Recommendations:

1. When adding your entry to the Facebook event page, please ensure that you title your entry with the variety and label of the bird to be entered.

Examples: Cream Legbar Cock; White Legbar Hen; Golden Crele Legbar Cockerel; Cream Legbar Pullet, etc.

This will greatly facilitate judging of the bird and eliminate any confusion of the variety that you believe the bird to be.

2. The judging will be done by an APA registered/licensed poultry judge. So do your best to present your birds in show condition. If this were a live show, the judge would examine and pick up the bird. As such, the judge would expect to find birds freshly bathed and in peak condition.

3. Show birds have attitude!! They unfailingly have a sense of who they are and this message comes across loudly in the pictures of the bird. This, too, is a point of judging birds in a show. How does the chicken carry himself or herself in presenting themselves to other chickens and people? Capturing this attitude in a picture can make all the difference especially since the APA judge is unable to pick the bird up or observe the bird’s behavior in an online show.

4. Pay attention to lighting and setting. An artist will always ask “What is the light doing to the colors?” Your birds will show better in good lighting rather than a dark corner.

5. Chickens do not naturally pose for pictures! Try to take a lot of pictures and choose the one that best shows your bird. Ideally, you would like to see a relaxed inquisitive bird in the picture rather than a frightened bird chased into a corner.

As always, we wish everyone the best of luck in this online show. We are really looking forward to the great pictures of your birds and the results of the great work that you are doing to support the legbar breed and its varieties!

FINAL NOTE: As noted in the judging section, we will use the current draft Revision 4 of the Cream Legbar SOP as posted on the club website. This revision 4 will be presented in a combined SOP format with the Golden Crele Legbar and White Legbar draft SOPs. We are seeking the APA judge’s and your comments particularly on the Golden Crele Legbar SOP. All legbar varieties use the same shape and physical structure of the male and female, this will be evident as you peruse the draft Combined SOP.

Entries may be made on our Facebook Event page, https://www.facebook.com/events/146334235851288/, or by e-mailing me at [email protected]

I'm looking into purchasing some White Legbars with the Hubby's consent and have a few questions
1. What do you consider a reasonable price for hatching eggs? I'm considering $60 for a dozen and that is from NPIP certified and includes shipping.
2. How are Whites created? Are they a cross of some sort?
3. What is their cold tolerance?

Thank you for your time
~Abby
The whites are a recessive gene that has popped up from these imported lines . Kind of like a red headed child popping up in a family . Likely the recessive white has been there since the breed was created . Cold tolerance is good . However the rooster's comb will freeze in very cold weather .

Ahh, so does this mean the white gene is somewhat unstable, similar to a blue gene?

~Abby

The gene is stable once isolated but is always recessive. If I breed a white to a colored bird I will get a colored bird unless the colored bird has a recessive white gene in it.

I have colored birds that have a color gene and a white gene, when I breed them I get on average, 25% that will be white, 25% will be colored and 50% will be colored with a white gene.

I have not figured out whether the white gene manifests itself in a lighter cream, I doubt it though, I have not seen it.

The Blue egg gene is in the legbars, but they vary greatly in the blueness. I try to keep the most blue for my breeding stock, but I am not sure that does any good either. Also the ambient light really plays into the blueness we perceive on these eggs. It is cool though to have white crested birds that lay blue eggs.

The worst part of the breed is the combs on the roosters, they are one of my first breeds to take comb and waddle damage. It is kind of ironic the females have nearly no comb and are extremely winter hardy. The males while winter hardy take such severe comb damage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom