white spots on comb

Oops...the post above should have said that we had a chicken with a similar looking group of white spots appear last night. We had an appointment with the vet for a horse, so took her along.

Did you ever figure out what caused your chicken's white spots?

That may be right (sebaceous excretion) because I used VetRX on them and they lessened. They are much less obvious now. My girls hadn't been wormed, though. Hmmm. Thanks for the followup.

Sharol
We had a veterinary appointment for a horse, so just took the chicken with us because we needed to know if it was infections due to an upcoming show. My daughter has been excited all winter/spring to take 4 chickens to the 4-H Fair, and so we didn't want to just "wait and see," and either be in quarantine or make other kids' chickens sick.

The vet thought it looked like a sebaceous excretion, but it was really "attached" and wouldn't come off easily. He got a scalpel and took a scraping to look at under the microscope. After looking, he still felt it was sebaceous and not parasitic.

He thinks that this chicken metabolized the dewormer differently than the other chickens, as she had been dewormed 2 days before onset. We knew that the other examples we had seen that looked like this also happened to be EE/Ameraucanas (pea combed chickens). So, possibly these chickens are a little different in how they metabolize dewormers from the Fenbendazole/Albendazole family. It would be interesting to know whether the other chickens we've seen pictures of with this had been recently dewormed with that.

So, we will see if it goes away in a few days when she has finished metabilizing the dewormer. He suggested putting mineral oil on her comb to see if it helps us scrape off the crud by softening it.

Toni

Hello! I wanted to know if you found out what those spots were.
Our ameracauna has similar spot on comb.

Thanks!

Dry fowl pox. My entire flock will go through cycles of this. It will not harm them, although it does look concerning - it will take care of itself with time, no treatment necessary! Usually weather conditions start it off. It's a naturally occurring event, and sometimes the spots will blacken a little bit as well - you will think "OMG!!!" but really and truly, it is not an issue other than cosmetic.

pictures of my girl's comb. Nothing on her wattle. I tried to pick some off and it was really stuck. It's on both sides of her comb. All my girls seem to get along and she's never been under attack. My other 4 don't have this. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom