White spots with black in the middle on hens comb

now 4/4 hens
hit.gif

When I get on my computer I will post some links and pictures of fowl pox. It is a virus spread by mosquitoes that lasts 2-3 weeks. There is usually no treatment. Some dab a little iodine on the scabs, but don't disturb them or you can spread the pox. Any scabs near the eyes, and it would be good to use a little Terramycin ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to help prevent a secondary infection in the eyes. If any chickens become very ill or stop eating, then look inside the beak and throat for any yellow patches which could be wet pox.

I'll post a pic as sone as possable....We live in Texas. and behind our fence is a ditch with standing water, MEANING-more mosquitoes 

Pictures would help to identify it. Is it warm with mosquitoes out right now where you live. It sounds like it could be pox.

x2
Since mosquitoes transmit fowl pox I would agree with Eggcessive: your birds probably have it. Good news though: if its the dry pox, they'll survive and be permanently immune to the disease in the future. Since there is no cure for the disease, and you just have to let it run its course, you need to help keep their immune systems running at optimal performance. Some people use a vitamin/electrolyte supplement in their water.
Fowl pox is highly contagious between birds (not to humans) and the scabs that fall off the pox can be contagious to new birds up to a year. Any new chickens added to your property will have to be vaccinated at 6-8 weeks old with a wing stab live vaccine.
Good luck with your chickens!!!

Dry pox is usually not serious, unless there are secondary infections. Wet pox is very serious. Make sure they continue to eat and drink normally. Your pictures look like dry pox.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom