White Stuff on Cockrel's Wing Feathers

CampRaincloud

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
North Carolina
I noticed today one of my roos has this white stuff on his feathers. He is a little more than 3 months old and is the larger of my two boys. Everything indicates he is not struggling or even notices, so I'm hoping we can quickly eliminate any sort of issue. I'd like to assume this is normal in feather growth, but my other birds don't look the same as his.

The roo in question is a BBR Old English Game Bantam.

I'm not even sure which search terms to use on this one..

I've included two photos. The first photo is of the bird in question, the second photo is my other roo.

tl;dr: What is this stuff on his wing feathers? Is it normal growth or something I should be on alert about?

Attachments

• OsmoWingClose.jpg
    OsmoWingClose.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 36
  • StardewWingClose.jpg
    StardewWingClose.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 15
I noticed today one of my roos has this white stuff on his feathers. He is a little more than 3 months old and is the larger of my two boys. Everything indicates he is not struggling or even notices, so I'm hoping we can quickly eliminate any sort of issue. I'd like to assume this is normal in feather growth, but my other birds don't look the same as his.

The roo in question is a BBR Old English Game Bantam.

I'm not even sure which search terms to use on this one..

I've included two photos. The first photo is of the bird in question, the second photo is my other roo.

tl;dr: What is this stuff on his wing feathers? Is it normal growth or something I should be on alert about?

Did you ever find your answer? In case you didn't, it looks to me like residuals from the keratin sheath that protects feathers as they grow. They sheath gets scratched, preened, or rubbed off as time passes. Your boy may just have been a little less efficient at preening away his keratin shafts than your other birds.

Back
Top Bottom