White stuff on egg shell

Wolfbones

Hatching
Jun 16, 2022
All of my chickens just started laying their eggs. Today one of the eggs had some white stuff on it. Wonder what it is. Was thinking maybe a little crack on the egg made egg white come out or something? All insights are welcome. Hope anyone reading this is having a good day with their own flock.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 12.53.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 12.53.52 PM.png
    815.9 KB · Views: 28
All of my chickens just started laying their eggs. Today one of the eggs had some white stuff on it. Wonder what it is. Was thinking maybe a little crack on the egg made egg white come out or something? All insights are welcome. Hope anyone reading this is having a good day with their own flock.

Thanks
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Egg white doesn't dry white in my experience but clear and only turns white with cooking or salpingitis (not indicated here, lash eggs are much different).

It's either urates or a little extra calcium (similar to # 8 in the following article)...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Please note that new layer hiccups cause crazy stuff.. I can't remember if white layers also get a white coating but I do know all egg shells (except true blue) start out white and get their color added on top.. so possibly even a pigment hiccup liken #9.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Egg white doesn't dry white in my experience but clear and only turns white with cooking or salpingitis (not indicated here, lash eggs are much different).

It's either urates or a little extra calcium (similar to # 8 in the following article)...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Please note that new layer hiccups cause crazy stuff.. I can't remember if white layers also get a white coating but I do know all egg shells (except true blue) start out white and get their color added on top.. so possibly even a pigment hiccup liken #9.
Thanks for your input and thank you for this article.

Chickens do not expel liquid urine. Instead their urine is the solid white stuff you often see on their poop.

Both the eggs and body wastes come out of the same vent opening but have different plumbing to get to the vent. To keep the egg clean the egg laying part of that plumbing extends out of their body a small amount, sealing off the body waste plumbing. That's why they stand up a bit when they are laying the egg, to keep what will go back inside them clean and not picking up trash. It looks like your pullet just had an oops right after or as that egg was laid.

Don't panic at all. As mentioned they often have glitches when they first start laying. Occasionally even a grown hen may have an oops. As long as it is not consistent I figure we are all entitled to an occasional oops, just don't make a habit of it.

I probably should not tell you this because you probably will worry. Over the years I've had a couple of hens that did have that kind of problem, with poop, not just urates. They had a problem with their plumbing. It was hard to figure out which one was doing it. When I got those eggs I washed them and stored them in the fridge until I used them. It is really rare and I doubt yours will have a consistent problem, probably just a glitch when learning to lay. It's way too early to start to worry.

Back
Top Bottom