White watery poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beb444, Jan 8, 2016.

1. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I gave them bread when they were chicks and they wouldn't eat it, and I tried a banana the other day and they didn't care for it. I think I have a picky flock, the don't even like mealworms!![​IMG]They only like greens...Thank you for saying stuff about apple cider vinegar--as I actually have some and I will definitely try that!!!

I sure hope it was just the petsitter!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Let us know how she is doing in the next day or so. :)

3. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA

So bad news... I saw her poop another white watery one this morning(but less white than last time) and a couple others have mushy poop. I put the ACV in this morning. Should I wait two days to see if it works before going to the feed store?

This may or may not be related but I have seen them eating feathers recently.

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It never hurts to have medications on hand for those times you cant get to the feed store. I would go ahead and get some corid if you can.

Do you have any yogurt in the house? You might get her to eat a tablespoon of it every day for the next few days and see if just maybe she needs more good bacteria in her gut. If this helps, continue on with them for a couple of weeks.

If this doesnt do the trick, you might then get her started on some corid just in case she does have cocci.

5. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA

I'm not sure I can get to the store until wed... I can probably if it's imperative, however, get in tmr or the next day. Tell me how urgent this illness is.

Yes I have yogurt, but it's yopait orange creme and activa vanilla. Are the flavored ok?

6. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Coccidoisis can kill them pretty quick if they're down with it.

7. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA

Ok...:( I'll try and get to the feed store ASAP and help the poor thing:(

8. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA

Ok so I've been doing a lot of research on coccidiosis. She definetly does not have any blood in her poop. [​IMG] The picture I have attached a picture but it IS NOT HERS, I got it off the internet so you would have some idea of what her's looked like because a picture says a lot. So her's was not as white, it was more like the left portion, and the brown in the middle wasn't as liquidy and was a deeper brown color...It was more like mushy chunks.... And I've been doing poo research also[​IMG] never thought that day would come.. Anyway apparently feeding your chickens a lot of greens could make a mushy poo-like the one I saw in my other chicken earlier. I fed them a head of cabbage two days ago. Anyway I thought I would add more info to this. I am not trying to take away anything you two said, because I appreciate it and value it tremendously but I thought I would add what I have noticed:) tell me if you think that changes anything, but I am fine going to the store tmr if you still think it's coccidiosis. Rather be safe:)

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I agree on the cocci kiling them quick. But generally with cocci, they go off their feed and water. Is she going to roost with a full crop? If so, this is probably not cocci. If the crop is barely full, it is possible she does have cocci.

Is she acting normal otherwise? If so, and she were my bird, I would try probiotics on her for several days and see if maybe she needs more good bacteria in her gut. Probiotics will also help to stave off any bad bacteria or yeast infections that could be forming in her intestinal tract. If after several days, and she still has white diarrhea, I would give the Corid a try. If that didn't work, I might then possibly consider antibiotics.

Plain yogurt is best, but if all you have is flavored, that will work for a few days as an experiment. Try to get the plain stuff when you can. Make sure the container says it has live cultures in it. Human grade probiotics in the capsules work even better. 1 capsule opened and poured into a quart plastic container. Make a new batch daily. Probiotics also help with stress. Some birds are high strung and get diarrhea easily.

Give some sort of probiotocs for a few days. If they work, continue with them. If they don't, head for the Corid. Then after a week if the diarrhea continues, try antibiotics. This is how I would attack this if she were my bird.

Keep us posted! :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  10. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I'm sorry I have no idea what the bold means. But yes, she has been acting normal now and eating and drinking. You have been so helpful!! Thank you so much!! I'll keep you posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by