Whiting Farms in Co. What do you know about them?

Thanks for the posts! The closest Murdoch's for me is Salida, and that store doesn't offer any of the Whiting birds. Nice to see these green eggs -- I've been waiting to see them! So --do you have any additional generations of the green layers? (Dr. Whiting mentioned those birds do not breed true, and was wondering what F2s were producing out of them).

So --do you have any additional generations of the green layers? (Dr. Whiting mentioned those birds do not breed true, and was wondering what F2s were producing out of them).

I don't have any Whiting roosters; just a little mixed laying flock for my own enjoyment. One of my NN pullets went broody after she laid her first dozen eggs in hidden nest last summer and I let her hatch a couple green eggs but my rooster is a black Silkie. The surviving chick is a rooster and a cute little guy but not going to tell you much about what the green layer F2s would be like.

I'm kind of picky about my roosters and want them good at taking care of the hens (not just rapists) as well as non-people aggressive. What is your Whiting Blue rooster like?

Oh, he is a looker!
Peyton Manning (our Whiting rooster) seems nice enough. He's breeding the gals as evidenced by the eggs we're cracking open, but I don't see him getting overly aggressive. He's scared of me ... which is always good.
Interestingly, when I catch the EE rooster and pick him up, his hackles go up. Peyton's doesn't do that. He's just scared.
He is a fancy boy -- I can't how Dr. Whiting described his coloring ... looks Birchen to me.

Oh, he is a looker!
Peyton Manning (our Whiting rooster) seems nice enough. He's breeding the gals as evidenced by the eggs we're cracking open, but I don't see him getting overly aggressive. He's scared of me ... which is always good.
Interestingly, when I catch the EE rooster and pick him up, his hackles go up. Peyton's doesn't do that. He's just scared.
He is a fancy boy -- I can't how Dr. Whiting described his coloring ... looks Birchen to me.

Thanks for the info. His disposition sounds very reasonable. Peyton is a good looking boy for sure!

Well, if you come by Westcliffe, look us up!! I've got 14 pullets and the rooster.  And the best way to get a hold of Dr Whiting is calling the office and leaving a message (v. email). 
I noticed they DON'T answer email.I hate that they don't have any pullets. I've got 5 males and 20 white leghorn female chicks being delivered next week.....and me not home grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Looks like I will be putting the whiting males over leghorns then back breeding.

Last edited:
I noticed they DON'T answer email.I hate that they don't have any pullets. I've got 5 males and 20 white leghorn female chicks being delivered next week.....and me not home grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Looks like I will be putting the whiting males over leghorns then back breeding.

Normally he's been very prompt answering my emails. But this is hatching season and I'm sure he's busy. I've seen him in the store in GJ delivering and putting out the chicks last year. And last year he sold 68.000 chicks - with no advertising. And this is just a sideline that's grown, not his main business.

McMurray had 4, 4wk old , Whiting True Blue pullets yesterday. I was lucky enough to get one. Shipping week on 6/20/16 & I can't wait!!

McMurray had 4, 4wk old , Whiting True Blue pullets yesterday. I was lucky enough to get one. Shipping week on 6/20/16 & I can't wait!!
That is great news!

Post pictures when you can.

It looks like I can get on the list from McMurray in November for next years chick delivery. I need to put a reminder into my Google Calendar.

Back
Top Bottom