Whiting True Blue from McMurray

I have 3 WTB hens I got from McMurrey a couple years ago. They are very good egg layers and lay extra large light blue eggs. I wonder if they laid a smaller size egg if it would be more blue... Anyway, I ordered 3 hens and got 3 hens. 1 black, 1 blue, and 1 white splash.

I have 3 WTB hens I got from McMurrey a couple years ago. They are very good egg layers and lay extra large light blue eggs. I wonder if they laid a smaller size egg if it would be more blue... Anyway, I ordered 3 hens and got 3 hens. 1 black, 1 blue, and 1 white splash.
I'm reading that eggs can be bluer after a period of not laying because theres more pigment available to make them blue, so I suspect you may be right about larger = lighter.

am mildly bothered that McMurray didn't say anything about this in the blurb though.
update: WTB says "will breed true for egg color" and that statement is (obviously) missing from WTG, so I guess that's their way of letting you know. still kinda shady I think but I guess most people dont breed?

update: WTB says "will breed true for egg color" and that statement is (obviously) missing from WTG, so I guess that's their way of letting you know. still kinda shady I think but I guess most people dont breed?
Just to hop in here and clarify -- the Whiting True Blues are bred to breed true in successive generations. The Whiting True Green is a hybrid that McMurray Hatchery has all of the parent flock, so if you aren't raising and keeping the parent flock, you won't be able to breed further greens. Not shady, just poultry genetics.

Just to hop in here and clarify -- the Whiting True Blues are bred to breed true in successive generations. The Whiting True Green is a hybrid that McMurray Hatchery has all of the parent flock, so if you aren't raising and keeping the parent flock, you won't be able to breed further greens. Not shady, just poultry genetics.
Maybe I misspoke. I didn't find the breed shady, just the fact that McMurray didn't note that it doesn't breed true in the description.

Either way, I ordered 1 WTB male, WTB females & WTG females. And then I just wont incubate any green eggs.

We have a black minorca with beautiful blue ears, named Meep-Meep. We named her that because she bolts so quickly from one place to another and runs around like a nut! She reminded us of the Roadrunner so we named her Meep-Meep. Her eggs have been white, though. We haven't seen any other color, but we rescued her from some deplorable conditions so I'm wondering if that will change over time as she gets better care.

We have a black minorca with beautiful blue ears, named Meep-Meep. We named her that because she bolts so quickly from one place to another and runs around like a nut! She reminded us of the Roadrunner so we named her Meep-Meep. Her eggs have been white, though. We haven't seen any other color, but we rescued her from some deplorable conditions so I'm wondering if that will change over time as she gets better care.
black minorca lay white eggs so it sounds like she is perfectly normal

My first Whiting true blue egg

Attachments

• 20210127_165555.jpg
    20210127_165555.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 5
I have one true blue hen and one rooster. They are not cuddly birds. They are 5 months.
Nope! They are very quick and alert birds. If you want a cuddly bird, they are NOT it as they are fairly flighty. They should be very good free-rangers. In fact, if I remember correctly, it was one of McMurrays advertising points.
i would describe my two exactly that way. Not much chance of getting a cuddle from those two.

Back
Top Bottom