Who’s My Mommy? The Sequel

The feathers on his back look like they’re coming in black. Is that common for blues?
Sure is! In fact it's one of the ways I would distinguish a blue apart from a lavender :)

Your earlier comment about crest - a crest can vary in size and location on the face and often the type and size of comb can influence this.

Now that he's showing reliable signs of being blue and crested - does this help you narrow down his parentage??

Here's one of my blue chicks at approx 16 weeks.. to show the potential difference in blue shades. Note his crest is quite a ways back on his crown.

20201026_160249.jpg

And here's one of my other blue chicks that grew in a proper mop of a crest! Very forward on the head.

20201114_132443.jpg

A picture of my blue rooster - showing the charcoal (near black) feathers. He also has the "bushy eyebrows" :)

Big Blue.jpg

Sure is! In fact it's one of the ways I would distinguish a blue apart from a lavender :)

Your earlier comment about crest - a crest can vary in size and location on the face and often the type and size of comb can influence this.

Now that he's showing reliable signs of being blue and crested - does this help you narrow down his parentage??

Here's one of my blue chicks at approx 16 weeks.. to show the potential difference in blue shades. Note his crest is quite a ways back on his crown.

View attachment 2672717

And here's one of my other blue chicks that grew in a proper mop of a crest! Very forward on the head.

View attachment 2672719

A picture of my blue rooster - showing the charcoal (near black) feathers. He also has the "bushy eyebrows" :)

View attachment 2672722
Ah, I see. It does help me narrow it down... a little. I have a crested sapphire Olive egger pullet but she has yellow legs. My only slate legged rooster is a non bow-tied NN rooster. She’s also a lot leaner than Pickle’s coming out to be.
CB06AE7A-C898-41C3-851D-355FAB0532B2.jpeg

This is the only pic I have of her.

Ah, I see. It does help me narrow it down... a little. I have a crested sapphire Olive egger pullet but she has yellow legs. My only slate legged rooster is a non bow-tied NN rooster. She’s also a lot leaner than Pickle’s coming out to be.
View attachment 2672740
This is the only pic I have of her.
Slate legs can also come from a cross of green legs x pink/white legs.

Hey, I’m back! I thought I’d give some updated pictures of Pickle since he’s almost seven months old. I think he turned out lovely. He reminds me a lot of my rooster Bean by his build. What do you think?
A7148B23-9300-47E1-8836-653D2D05FD6F.jpeg
AEED245F-F336-47AF-B040-0EDAB3711020.jpeg
5A750CDE-DD37-4D93-A5DA-B9E04C0B70AE.jpeg
3769D8BD-EADA-423F-9BA9-AB0F82A6A3D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom