Who’s My Mommy? The Sequel

Pics

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
I’m back with another mystery chick! This one hatched (rather unexpectedly if you saw either of my threads about it) from my incubator one week ago. I literally just grabbed a random egg so I have no idea who’s mom (or dad). Also, he looks like a lavender???? His baby fluff is outright shiny silver but his adult feathers coming in are a very light grey which from what I read is what counts as lavender? He has multicolored legs (black legs with pinkish feet and toes). From what little comb he has it looks like a straight comb. He hatched out of a lightish brown egg (I can attach a picture if needed)
9B0AA675-96ED-45BE-8B1E-1B781807152E.jpeg

9299DC1E-1E5D-4368-A8C2-6179FB9CC480.jpeg

E89BBAEE-E5C4-4FCC-8A19-C55291A7E45B.jpeg

currently the hens I have are an Austrolorp (pardon the spelling), Austrolorp/NN, buff Turken, Isa brown, Saphire olive egger, white leghorn, barred rock, a large blue possible jersey giant mix (I may have forgotten someone so one might get added)
Roosters- black NN, two red NN, and a silver Columbian genetic nightmare silkie mix/RIR
Any thoughts?

Can you compare the tail to those who think may be the parents? It looks like a EE tail to me or an olive egg tail... they seem to have very distinctive tails I’ve found...

also there’s way to much fluff on that neck for it to be a NN so what are the other possibilities
Not entirely true, a naked neck with only one copy of the gene (usually sporting a large bowtie) will not pass on the naked neck to 50% of their offspring.

I will say that the silkie mix/RIR cross has a confirmed baby and, like him, has the smallest amount of fluff on its legs and looks very similar to the mix when he was a chick. I mean genetics vary, but this seems like a large variance.
View attachment 2611640
This is the silkie mix/RIR as a day old
View attachment 2611635
Confirmed offspring of said rooster.
I’m not sure. Bean, the rooster in question, has so many colors and patterns, I find it a little unlikely for him, even combined with a solid colored hen, to have a completely solid chick.
It’s not impossible. Black (and its dilution, blue) is a very dominant color. Your mixed rooster has a messy columbian color with a lot of leakage. I’d expect his offspring with a solid black/blue hen to be black/blue with leakage. Keep in mind that your chick is still young, so the leakage could come in later.

Hey, I’m back! I thought I’d give some updated pictures of Pickle since he’s almost seven months old. I think he turned out lovely. He reminds me a lot of my rooster Bean by his build. What do you think?
A7148B23-9300-47E1-8836-653D2D05FD6F.jpeg
AEED245F-F336-47AF-B040-0EDAB3711020.jpeg
5A750CDE-DD37-4D93-A5DA-B9E04C0B70AE.jpeg
3769D8BD-EADA-423F-9BA9-AB0F82A6A3D0.jpeg

Well you didn't name any lavender birds and tbe chick would have to get a lavender gene from both parents o be lavender.
I'd say it's blue so one parent was blue. Besides that its a mystery I don't want to try to untangle.

Yes but the op has other threads of similar nature where the trait was passed on.. this leads to the thought that by looking at the feathers that the father could be the silkie... and by the colour of the chick I would suggest that the mother is the blue mix...

BUT... that is only going on previous threads and photos that were posted on these threads... believe me when I say I’m no expert or experienced chicken keeper I’m still learning myself.... I’m just going by what has been provided
I’m not saying a naked neck is the father, but at this point there’s an equally likely chance. The OP has three NN roosters, one of which does have a full bowtie.

Back
Top Bottom