Who all raises pigs ?

Strummer

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Edna tx
I just got our first two . They are Durocs . 8 weeks old . I'm feeding a fermented feed and a pig food that a local feed mill makes . Plan to grow them out and eating one of them .

Hey, Strummer. I am a novice pig raiser myself. Figured that chickens provide us with meat and eggs, a local lake gives us fish. We hunt doves, quail, rabbits, turkey, and deer which give us meat...what was missing?? Oh yeah! Bacon and ham. So a couple years ago built a pig pen and a hut and bought a couple pigs from Craigslist. Such a great decision! Grew them up and processed them ourselves. Best ham and bacon I ever had. Plus all kinds of sausage, roasts, Boston butts for smoking, chops, etc. Loved it so much I did it again this year (I like to get them in fall and raise them through the winter to process in the spring...don't want to deal with them in the heat). Made the mistake this year of raising 4. This time I dcided to raise 2 lard pigs (GOS) along with two meat pigs (Spot X). Made soap out of the excess lard...it is awesome stuff. But it was just too much work and too much meat. Easy to give away, though! So this year it's back to two...that works best for me. Thinking of a Berk and another GOS. Perhaps a Hereford instead of a Berk. We'll see. Anyway, good to chat with another small operator like me who is into pigs! Good luck to you!

I do all my own butchering and processing myself . I lucky my dad was a butcher . I make my own sausage and bacon . Haven't done ham yet but plan on it . I plan to render the fat for lard . People around here will lay 8 bucks a quart for it . I have chickens too and just finished my rabbit hutch and need to wire my quail hutch . In the next two weeks I should be ready for them . I also have 13 bee hives

I do all my own butchering and processing myself . I lucky my dad was a butcher . I make my own sausage and bacon . Haven't done ham yet but plan on it . I plan to render the fat for lard . People around here will lay 8 bucks a quart for it . I have chickens too and just finished my rabbit hutch and need to wire my quail hutch . In the next two weeks I should be ready for them . I also have 13 bee hives

How do you market your lard? What do people use it for? I'd love to be able to sell some around here!

How do you market your lard? What do people use it for? I'd love to be able to sell some around here!
I have no idea how to market lard, but it is used as shortening. Lard makes the best pie crusts, bar none!!

I agree about the pie crusts. Yum! And the best biscuits! But what I meant was how did you determine there was a need and a market? I've searched Craigslist in my area and even expanded into large cities in surrounding states but couldn't find any listing of people selling or wanting to buy rendered lard.

The guy I got my pigs from found the lady . Not sure how he found her . I do know she has a bakery shop

Back
Top Bottom