who am i? i dont really crow but i like the ladies.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by prov31gal, Sep 26, 2010.

1. prov31gal

prov31gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    this guy, (and im not 100% sold on guy) came in a hatchery surprise in the early spring. hes laced on the belly, patchy on top, has a very fluffy grey chicken butt, and long green tail feathers, like the kelloggs rooster, he is single comb and also has earlobes. so i really think hes a he, but he does not crow, he sings a song sometimes, but no crow. he has jumped a hen a couple times, but not many, he is very docile and gentle and timid, most of the time, but if your trying to round everyone up, he is the hardest one to get, he thinks hes boss, and he is super fat and big and meaty. but the absence of a crow, and the limited mounting 9and i have thought i might be mistaken on that) makes me less sure of his manhood. either way i have no idea what it is, i cant find a breed thats black and white laced that also has green tail feathers.and i almost forgot to say he had feather legs.
    so about 6 months old, no crow , black white and green, but doesnt lay eggs either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] this one shows how big he is, a little larger than my big brahma.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. blueid10

blueid10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    My guess is that he's a mix breed of Silver Lace Wyandottes and Black Austalorps. As for your gender problem, I've been there! It is most likely another male rooster that's a little slow to mature. He should start making one of these little wimpy, pathetic attempts at crowing shortly, and after awhile he will get more manly. Around that time his comb and wattles should get bigger and more of a fleshy red in color.
    Hope this helps and good luck! [​IMG]

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have read about animals being gender neutral. It occurs in animals and in humans. It seems to happen more often than people ever think. I would be a guess for this bird if you had it checked on a DNA level that what you would find is that you have is an it. Gender neutrals a very rarely capable of reproducing. So there is no egg or aggressive male behavior. I agree on the silver lace Wyandotte or a cross with the SLW being dominate.

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    He does look a Silver Laced Wyandotte...mixed w/ something feather legged. I doubt it is an Australorp because they don't have feathered feet. So the other half could be...Langshan, Cochin, Brahma,
    Salmon Faverolles...umm, umm...what else has feathered feet?

The four feathered footed breeds I mention tend to have sweet/docile roosters. I have all four...and had SLW's.

He looks very rooish, and will likely come around. Is it possible he is "doing his thing" when you aren't around?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's all boy. SLW mixed with a feather legged breed or just a SLW with feather stubs (they have Cochin ancestry so sometimes you'll see that, but not often and rarely that heavy) There are Silver Laced Cochins, you know. Could be a hatchery one of those.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    definate boy and my guess is silver laced wyandotte x dark brahma (for that gray fuzzy butt and feathered legs/feet)

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oops, I didn't notice the feathered legs. I go with SL cochin as well [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's certainly not pure Wyandotte. . . And he's got a single comb too. . . I'm guessing a VERY poor quality Silver Laced Cochin or just a mutt.

9. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I have one that looks just like that. Was sold to me as a Cochin when she was a chick, it took us forever to figure out whether she was male or female. We are sure she's a she now. Her name is Fugly. She was the ugliest chick I ever saw. Took her forever to feather out and she's huge.

10. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Silver-Laced Cochin Roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by