WHO ARE THE WORST PREDATORS OF CHICKENS?

HilltopfarmsNY

Chirping
11 Years
Everybody loves chicken! Daytime, we have hawks, cats and dogs. most predators are nocturnal and include fox, opossum, skunk and raccoon. By far, my worst one is raccoon. They are persistent, clever, can climb or dig and their paws can manipulate. Any opening is a challenge,and they will keep at it until the whole flock is gone.

I love older threads being revived. I like this new feature on BYC. I can't really say here one is worse than another because in my opinion they are all bad. I have lost birds in the past to many different predators both aerial and ground. A good secure coop and run/pen is the best defense. Good luck...

I have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering the pens, all due to losses from predators in the past. I also have several game cameras up on my property and see quite a few roaming mainly at night. Nothing really keep the predators away but somethings may deter them. I tried motion lights and they eventually got used to them. I would see them on my cameras.

Back
Top Bottom