Who does self-sustaining quail?

The tilapia will eat the duckweed in a matter of minutes, even as babies, to the point where there is nothing left. The minnows can fertilize (naturally/cleanly) the duckweed without eating it.

That's not entirely accurate. It depends on the size of the setup and the number of tilapia, of course, but I've definitely seen tilapia setups that have duckweed growing in them.

Just a quick update. We are in the process of installing our rain collection system, so have now expanded that system into a tilapia and duckweed growing operation to help feed us and the quail. (now I have to join backyard aquaponics forum lol)

So here's what we're doing:

1. Duckweed. We're growing it for the quail as a staple to their diet and the tilapia's diet. Right now, I have a small batch that isn't in a permanent location yet and feed about 3/4 cup of it daily between 18 quail. (We have a plan to grow it in the tilapia tank, but where it will be protected from the ravenous fishies)

2. Sprouts. I tried homemade chia pets (using chia seeds and earthen ware) but they don't seem to like the sprouts as much as alfalfa sprouts. So I am focusing more on alfalfa and wheat grass. I have a spouter in the mail, but I'm also going to try to make a big tray type that you see for forage feeders for other animals. The sprouting isn't really sustainable since I won't be producing those seeds on site, but yeah ... I was really hoping the chia would work because I could do the sprouts for that. I have kale in seed now, so maybe I'll have enough to do kale sprouts. Sprouts, like the duckweed, will go toward feeding the tilapia too.

3. Mealworms. I was trying to do the earthworm thing, but I think the most sustainable and safest thing will be my own mealworm colony raised in organic, nonGMO oats. And while that's not necessarily sustainable (buying oats), it's pretty darn close and I'm willing to make that concession. My mealworms are in the mail; can't wait to get them! :)

You will need a greenhouse for the duckweed and tilapia. Both grow in warm temps and go dormant when it's cold. If they get too cold they will die. You will want to raise the duckweed in a separate container since even as fry the tilapia are big eaters and fast growers and will eat all the duckweed eventually. I have a separate pond just for duckweed. So far my quail won't eat it. I'll have to try again and see if they will eat it if they have in front of them everyday. I have gambusia minnows and they eat mosquitos. They will eat duckweed but prefer not to. I give my tilapia and minnows left over fermented feed from my poultry and they love it. The minnows eat very little so if you have them in a small container remember not to give them too much so you don't foul the water.

On a self-sustaining quest you can't beet the nutrition of moringa. Just google it and see! I feed both leaves and flowers to my animals and they all love it. You can dry and powder the leaves to add to any feed you are already giving or just feed it fresh during the growing season. It's easy to grow, will even grow indoors in winter in large enough pots or in that greenhouse you'll have for your tilapia and duckweed.

Don't do kale sprouts since kale and anything in the cabbage family isn't good for poultry. They cannot get rid of gasses from their gut like mammals so they avoid eating it. I found my quail love some of the greens I get at my local Asian grocery. Not sure what the greens are, in the choy family of greens I think. Both the chickens and quail stuff it into their beaks as fast as they can. They also like summer squashes, finely grated carrots, yogurt or kefir, sunflower sprouts, and fresh grass clippings.

Good to know on kale. I feed them kale several times a week right now :(

My quail love the duckweed. They'd rather eat that than their sprouts or chick feed! And no worries on tilapia and duckweed, the plan is to have growing separate and feed the tilapia the duckweed, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Here's the first pond so far!

Second pond goes in today and I'm picking up my minnows today. We need to get our aerator and rain barrel system complete before getting our prawns and fish :) But we're getting there!

You're wrong about cabbage - quail love eating cabbage greens, I feed them all my brokkoli leaves. They love alfalfa greens aparantly.

Earthworms - yes they can learn to forage for them in a tray of compost. They love it actually. No need to separate it out. However worms can carry disease and I had a quail die from a bacterial infection, probably from contaminated compost. Using a contained vermicompost might help. So, your vermicompost stream should be separate from your bedding/litter composting stream.

I have fed mealworms with the stuff they live in as a treat food, easy to multiply.

There is a post somewhere on this forum by myself on protein and fat content of different bugs.

I am interested in your bug growing experience - please share.

I have zero bug growing experience! But I will keep everyone up-to-date on my trials and follies :D I am doing a system similar to this but using organic, nonGMO oatmeal:

I have caterpillars all in my kale right now, so I've been feeding leaves with caterpillars on them to the quail. They love it! But I hope it doesn't upset their tummies too much. I'm glad you've found that's not the case. I'll have to go hunting for that post on fat content. I'm interested in it!

Here it is! This will be the duckweed and prawn pond. To the right, we will have a second larger pond for tilapia.

I put in some red rosy minnows last night and apparently the water was not properly softened because about 90% of them died. But the quail thought they were delicious — so win? I will try better not to kill my minnows when I get them again. I'm not a fish person by nature. I will have to work very hard not to kill aquatic things.

This might set your mind at ease regarding kale and the cabbage family. Everything in moderation and you'll be fine. Lots of things can be bad for your birds if they are only fed that. It seems like you are giving them a pretty broad diet. I wouldn't be concerned.

Here it is! This will be the duckweed and prawn pond. To the right, we will have a second larger pond for tilapia.

I put in some red rosy minnows last night and apparently the water was not properly softened because about 90% of them died. But the quail thought they were delicious — so win? I will try better not to kill my minnows when I get them again. I'm not a fish person by nature. I will have to work very hard not to kill aquatic things.
Where does an irresponsible shrimp go to get a loan?...to the prawn shop

(i can hear the groans from here)

Back
Top Bottom