Who else got some 2013 chicks?!

We get all of our chicks from a local feed store, and they get most of their chicks from Dunlap, a local hatchery and some of them from Privett. We have always been happy with them, other than when we bought from the straight run bin, we got 5 roosters out of six chicks.

We are starting over after a chicken disaster a few years ago. Here is what we have so far:

2 silver-laced wyandotte
1 buff orpington
1 black australorp
1 welsummer
1 golden sex-link
1 barred rock
1 Easter-egger

I really want at least 1 more Easter-egger, a cochin and a Turken. My son wants to add a Polish. I am totally okay with that, except that we are also taking several chicks from a hatch that my daughter's kindergarten class does every year. She said they always just find families for them, so we are going to take a few. Those were the only ones I was going to raise this year. So much for that.

We use the MyPetChicken.com waterers. Some of the chicks were already using them at the feed store and all you have to do is tap on the bottom and the babies run for it. I hung our big one low enough for them to reach and they kind of hang out under there.

These three are the ones that we were going to start with, just so that we have eggs earlier than if we waited for my daughter's class hatch.

Treating a pasty-butt Easter Egger.

A few of the newer ones.

Under the waterer.

We get all of our chicks from a local feed store, and they get most of their chicks from Dunlap, a local hatchery and some of them from Privett. We have always been happy with them, other than when we bought from the straight run bin, we got 5 roosters out of six chicks. We are starting over after a chicken disaster a few years ago. Here is what we have so far: 2 silver-laced wyandotte 1 buff orpington 1 black australorp 1 welsummer 1 golden sex-link 1 barred rock 1 Easter-egger I really want at least 1 more Easter-egger, a cochin and a Turken. My son wants to add a Polish. I am totally okay with that, except that we are also taking several chicks from a hatch that my daughter's kindergarten class does every year. She said they always just find families for them, so we are going to take a few. Those were the only ones I was going to raise this year. So much for that. We use the MyPetChicken.com waterers. Some of the chicks were already using them at the feed store and all you have to do is tap on the bottom and the babies run for it. I hung our big one low enough for them to reach and they kind of hang out under there. These three are the ones that we were going to start with, just so that we have eggs earlier than if we waited for my daughter's class hatch. Treating a pasty-butt Easter Egger. A few of the newer ones. Under the waterer.
Cute chicks! Is your waterer just a 5 gallon bucket with poultry nipples in the bottom? How do they do with that?

We get all of our chicks from a local feed store, and they get most of their chicks from Dunlap, a local hatchery and some of them from Privett. We have always been happy with them, other than when we bought from the straight run bin, we got 5 roosters out of six chicks. We are starting over after a chicken disaster a few years ago. Here is what we have so far: 2 silver-laced wyandotte 1 buff orpington 1 black australorp 1 welsummer 1 golden sex-link 1 barred rock 1 Easter-egger I really want at least 1 more Easter-egger, a cochin and a Turken. My son wants to add a Polish. I am totally okay with that, except that we are also taking several chicks from a hatch that my daughter's kindergarten class does every year. She said they always just find families for them, so we are going to take a few. Those were the only ones I was going to raise this year. So much for that. We use the MyPetChicken.com waterers. Some of the chicks were already using them at the feed store and all you have to do is tap on the bottom and the babies run for it. I hung our big one low enough for them to reach and they kind of hang out under there. These three are the ones that we were going to start with, just so that we have eggs earlier than if we waited for my daughter's class hatch. Treating a pasty-butt Easter Egger. A few of the newer ones. Under the waterer.
Cute chicks! Is your waterer just a 5 gallon bucket with poultry nipples in the bottom? How do they do with that?

My total breeds and mostly I have one of each-

welsummer
turken
australorp
buff orpington
RIR
Barred rock
black star- I know not a breed
leghorn
Coco Maran
blue splash maran
EE
blue andelusian
black Spanish
speckled sussex
silky
cochen
silver wyandotte
gold wyandotte
partridge rock

jessicaroo Not using the hampster bottle anymore as the drips made the pen all wet and i got tired of the mess so back to waterdish . beebs and salsa were drinking ok though,didnt seem to have any issues using it

EnHjoyed all of the nice chick pics and posts. Yes, I am getting back into chickens this year after leaving the farm about 30 years ago! Last weekend, we purchased:

2 Grey Barred Rocks
4 Black Australorps
2 Rhode Island Reds
3 Buff Orpingtons
2 Easter Eggers

I picked them up from the local feed store - Shipton's Big R. They get their stock from McMurray's. All are supposed to be pullets except the Orpintons are mixed. I know I will probably end up with 3 or more roosters! Hoping for at least 8 long-term laying hens out of this bunch. Really enjoying them so far - decided to cover my brooder this evening as they are starting to fly already! Here are pics of the little buggers:

Good luck with all of your chicks!

Doug

EnHjoyed all of the nice chick pics and posts. Yes, I am getting back into chickens this year after leaving the farm about 30 years ago! Last weekend, we purchased: 2 Grey Barred Rocks 4 Black Australorps 2 Rhode Island Reds 3 Buff Orpingtons 2 Easter Eggers I picked them up from the local feed store - Shipton's Big R. They get their stock from McMurray's. All are supposed to be pullets except the Orpintons are mixed. I know I will probably end up with 3 or more roosters! Hoping for at least 8 long-term laying hens out of this bunch. Really enjoying them so far - decided to cover my brooder this evening as they are starting to fly already! Here are pics of the little buggers: Good luck with all of your chicks! Doug
I got 4 orps from McMurray in February, they are my sweetest chicks yet. They are almost 5 weeks now. My least sweetest is definitely my light brahmas, little stinks! ;) cute babies you have there!

I am a first timer to raising chickens (had them as a kid), I just got three ameraucana and one danish brown leghorn and picking up a austrslorp tomorrow. All seems well so far, I am slightly worried about them itching. I have looked them over head to toe, placed them on a paper towel to see if its creepy crawly thing, but have not seen anything. They don't seem to itch all of the time just when one starts itching they all do it...but when one gets up to eat or drink they all get up to eat or drink. I would be happy to get any advise from the more experienced, and can anybody tell me the difference between a Danish Brown Leghorn and a Brown Leghorn?

Back
Top Bottom