Who else got some 2013 chicks?!

I just got 8 new chicks yesterday!! Split an order of 16 from MyPetChicken. I got 2 each: white cochin, silver laced cochin, buff orpington, and Rhode Island Reds. I am new to chicken raising and already addicted, I already have next years order planned.

Can any of you with more experience tell me, is there any chance of my white cochin chicks growing feathered feet if they are currently bare?
The Silver Laced are feathered, just not the whites.
No, if they don't have feathers on their legs now, then they won't have feathers on their legs at all. Maybe they sent you the wrong ones?

Here's my new chicks this year. A Black Cochin, a Welsummer and a Barnevelder.

And here they are already a week old. They get their feathers so fast!

I agree, these are some fine looking birds. Here is another video I took a few days ago:

Ohh!! the babies are so cute !

We got our first babies last week, from the local feed store, not by mail. Went on a thursday, just to get info and ended up buying 3 black australorps and 3 plymouth rocks. The chicks were 6 days old then. We where told that a new batch of chicks comes in every friday, so of course we had to go back the next day and ended up buying 10 more! 4 brown leghorn and 6 sicilian buttercup, each only a day or 2 old. Having only bought the small bag of feed, that didn't last long with 16 hungry beaks, we went back to the feed store for more food yesterday, and sure enough bought 6 more babies, 4 rhode island reds and 2 white leghorns. I am now the very proud mama of 22 baby chicks and as just have so share a few of my pics.

Our feed store only sells hens, it is possible to order only 2 roosters from online somewhere? or does anyone have any to sell, I live in palm beach county, fl.

Good Luck to everyone else and their new babies!!

Our feed store only sells hens, it is possible to order only 2 roosters from online somewhere? or does anyone have any to sell, I live in palm beach county, fl.

The chicks are adorable.

You may want to ask in the Florida thread if anyone has some little roos they don't want

Otherwise I think My Pet Chicken sells a minimum of 3?... I've never ordered from them.. so I'm not sure. (yup.. minimum of 3 chicks)

I think a few other have mentioned another place.. maybe Mt Healthy?.. that sells small amounts (nope.. just checked.. Mt Healthy is 15 chicks...)

Lol.. my chick orders are usually a minimum of 60 chicks.. so I'm sorry that I'm not of more help

Last edited:
Quote:

Congratulations... they are absolutely adorable!!
Even though they say they only sell hens, there could be a roo or 2 in there by mistake. Maybe wait to see if you already have one??

Lol.. my chick orders are usually a minimum of 60 chicks.. so I'm sorry that I'm not of more help

Oh my gosh!! you order so many babies. Are they all for egg production? We sharted out only wanting a few, but hubby just can't stop. Now he is wanting to hatch his own broods, lol.

Nancy, really?, I was also thinking if maybe a mistake could ever happen. I read a thread about a "mystery chick" so I was thinking about what if we have a boy instead of all girls.
How long does is take for a difference to be noticable enough for me to understand if any are actually baby roos?

Oh my gosh!! you order so many babies. Are they all for egg production? We sharted out only wanting a few, but hubby just can't stop. Now he is wanting to hatch his own broods, lol.

Nancy, really?, I was also thinking if maybe a mistake could ever happen. I read a thread about a "mystery chick" so I was thinking about what if we have a boy instead of all girls.
How long does is take for a difference to be noticable enough for me to understand if any are actually baby roos?
Lol.. we have anywhere from 40 to 400 chickens at any given time.. always have someone cited for freezer camp.
when I place orders with hatcheries it's either for meaties or for replacement pure bloods. Otherwise we hatch out a mix of mutts and pures. The incubators run pretty much all year round.
Geese, ducks, and other assorted birds aren't included in those totals.

for telling if you have boys or girls.. you can vent sex and know right away.. otherwise watch for tail feathers, comb development and on the odd chick that you just can't tell.. wait for hackle and saddle feathers to develop (or crowing to start.. lol)

Last edited:
Ohh!! the babies are so cute !

We got our first babies last week, from the local feed store, not by mail. Went on a thursday, just to get info and ended up buying 3 black australorps and 3 plymouth rocks. The chicks were 6 days old then. We where told that a new batch of chicks comes in every friday, so of course we had to go back the next day and ended up buying 10 more! 4 brown leghorn and 6 sicilian buttercup, each only a day or 2 old. Having only bought the small bag of feed, that didn't last long with 16 hungry beaks, we went back to the feed store for more food yesterday, and sure enough bought 6 more babies, 4 rhode island reds and 2 white leghorns. I am now the very proud mama of 22 baby chicks and as just have so share a few of my pics.

If you can, hold off about a month to see what you have. I bought 5 "sexed" chicks and 2 were roos. I was shooting for all pullets since I already have 3 (3 month old) roos. Sometimes the vent finger just doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom