Who else got some 2013 chicks?!

They are pretty sleepy as babies... Sleepier than the standard chicks, and definitely sleepier than 1 wk olds :) Just make sure they are well hydrated, maybe use some apple cider vinegar in the water or a little sugar. And watch out for pasty butt. Good luck!

I wouldn't be worried. Just like any baby, they need rest, some need more than others. Watch for them becoming listless and disoriented all the time, that's a bad sign. But if they are sleeping a lot, and active and eating and drinking, that's probably a good thing!

I wouldn't be worried. Just like any baby, they need rest, some need more than others. Watch for them becoming listless and disoriented all the time, that's a bad sign. But if they are sleeping a lot, and active and eating and drinking, that's probably a good thing!

Okay thanks. I think it seems so shocking to me because in the brooder next to the 2 day old bantams, I have a 5 week old Plymouth rock and. 5 week old mallard. Both of which are vocal with me, eat a bunch and make a big poppy mess :) then I got two teenie babies and its a darastic change. I've dipped both of their beaks in water and Have seen the one eat. Whenever I check on them they are both sleeping. They seem active and protest when I clean their poopy butts off.

I have recently received my very first flock of these cute little bundles!! I only ordered 6 from my local hardware store, originally from McMurray Hatchery. I got 1 Buff Orpington "Tallulah", 1 Rhode Island Red "Daisy", 1 Black Australorp "Cynder", 1 Barred Rock "Fluffy", 1 White Plymouth Rock "Sunni", and 1 Pearl White Leghorn "Fried". They were born 3/17 so they are currently 13 days old and growing and changing so much!!! They all seem to be happy and healthy and *fingers crossed* stay that way!

Love the tractor picture!!!! Adorable
love.gif

still questioning bebes gender she has thicker legs than salsa(and her legs are white pale vs salsa who seems to be more colored legs) the combs are the same size but beebs beak is thicker and diff shape? do they differ because they are hybrids(amber star)due to diff inheritance or gender? both have same color plumage wich is a very tanny white coming in

Well, the "chicks" are doing great! I'm almost finished with their run, just have to put that roof on!

We needed more Ameraucanna eggs in the mix but did not relish another month with chicks in the garage. We had a broody Barnevelder hen, Bonnie, who was intent on hatching our infertile eggs. Then a brainstorm hit! Let's try to get her to raise the chicks. We brought home 6 Ameraucanas, 4 Silver-Laced Wyandottes, and one Black Australorp pullets. We placed them still in their carry box in the nest beside Bonnie while we set up an area for her and the little ones. Then, after she had been listening to them for an hour or so, we swapped an eggs for chicks. You have never seen such a happy hen. She is now brooding all 11 babies, keeping the other hens away and defending them against all comers, including me. Easiest chick raising ever! So far so good. No illness, no pasty butt, just happy cheeping chicks and contented chuckling foster mom.

Back
Top Bottom