Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Did anyone else's roosters start acting strange when the hens started laying eggs? One of mine is making strange noises that I've never heard before, and pacing upstairs by the nests with a hen who's getting ready to lay. It's like he's acting like an expectant father.

Update: The sound he makes is like a quick, soft, muted clucking, about 3-4 per second. Sometimes it gets as quick as a cat's purr. He is very concerned about her. Once she got settled in the nest, she answered him with a similar sound, and he walked up close to her and just stared at her. I didn't realize that chickens got so attached to one other. Now a couple of hens are watching in wonderment, too.

Update: This is the result. It's very warm. This must be her first egg because it's different than the one from yesterday. I've read that Welsummer eggs are distinctive amongst hens.

Update: This is strange. I went back to see if anyone else was laying, and I heard the same sound. Same rooster was standing in front of the empty nest just staring at it. He looked so dejected. After having a cigar with the boys, he must have come back up to admire the egg... but IT'S GONE! Poor guy.

Last edited:
Did anyone else's roosters start acting strange when the hens started laying eggs? One of mine is making strange noises that I've never heard before, and pacing upstairs by the nests with a hen who's getting ready to lay. It's like he's acting like an expectant father. Update: The sound he makes is like a quick, soft, muted clucking, about 3-4 per second. Sometimes it gets as quick as a cat's purr. He is very concerned about her. Once she got settled in the nest, she answered him with a similar sound, and he walked up close to her and just stared at her. I didn't realize that chickens got so attached to one other. Now a couple of hens are watching in wonderment, too. Update: This is the result. It's very warm. This must be her first egg because it's different than the one from yesterday. I've read that Welsummer eggs are distinctive amongst hens. Update: This is strange. I went back to see if anyone else was laying, and I heard the same sound. Same rooster was standing in front of the empty nest just staring at it. He looked so dejected. After having a cigar with the boys, he must have come back up to admire the egg... but IT'S GONE! Poor guy.
He's probably thinking "oh yeah let get it on baby" lol

We have set up a temporary fence to allow some supervised free ranging and one of my br pullets has been in and put of the boxes all day. Now she's went in and stayed in for quite some time. Fingers crossed we get our first brown egg today!

I know, got my first egg yesterday, and am just excited today waiting to see if I get another one today. If anyone would have told me that I was going to be this wacko crazy over these chickens I would have thought they were crazy. I have to go somewhere today, and I just want to stay home and wait for that next egg...
Ha Ha! Know the feeling! Congrats!

Already have a few of last years hens still laying (3 California White {one is broody}, and an EE), but waiting for the new batch. My silkies just turned 20 weeks and my Red Broiler, young California Whites, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock,and RIR to start. It will pay off eventually!

Weird to have a broody California White. They are a gray leghorn crossed with a white leghorn. Thinking they should never be broody. Always one oddball in the bunch eh?

I just caught my Iowa Blue pullet in the nest box. Thinking she is now among the layers. You go Skye lay me a nice pretty eggie.
Watermelon is in the fridge for them. Reading 98 here today. BLECH.

Its my old show hen, Scarlet. And i think you meant california gray×white leghorn
She is very dilligent about it. Shes been broody almost a month. Next time im setting her on some fertile eggs. She actually went around through the nests andpushed them all into one box. It made collecting easier though. None of my roos are mature yet, so i switch eggs out, but i caught my silkie pullet Frodo keeping her company... My Iowa blue pullet should be laying too in a few weeks. Poor girl, she lets the 4 IB boys know shes boss, but I originally thought i had 3 girls. Oops!

Last edited:
Weird to have a broody California White. They are a gray leghorn crossed with a white leghorn. Thinking they should never be broody. Always one oddball in the bunch eh?

I just caught my Iowa Blue pullet in the nest box. Thinking she is now among the layers. You go Skye lay me a nice pretty eggie.
Watermelon is in the fridge for them. Reading 98 here today. BLECH.
Ehhemm...me thinks you referred to them as "slackers"? Watermelon would be appropriate! Seriously! the HEAT! We're used to it here. Hate it, but used to it. Questions: What's an Iowa Blue? My 3 EE's are 20.5 wks. They have virtually no comb or wattles. Do you or anyone know how to visualize if they're ready to lay and at what age they usually start? They're camera shy, so this is the best I could get.

Back
Top Bottom