Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Mine are almost 17 weeks and still not roosting. They do the dog pile thing right up against the closed off nests. What do I do when it comes time for them to start laying and they're still doing the dog pile thing? I'm sure they'd love to cram into the nests.

Last edited:

I love the colour. We only get brown eggs but maybe next year some different kinds of chickens. Isn't it great for that 1st eggs? People who don't have chickens don't get it
263a.png

I am glad I am not the only one dreaming about eggs. I had a dream last night I found eggs in the bush they like to sleep in.

I have a feeling I am going to have to go on an egg hunt because mine are free range and can fly out of their run and while they will sleep in the run 3/4 won't sleep in the coop so I can't close them up until they lay.
he.gif
After several night in a row of rounding them up and tossing them in the coop I gave up.

My Olive Egger (Black Copper Marans x EE) laid her 1st egg four weeks ago when she was only 18 wks old! She already gave me one double yolked egg so far and has layed about 5-6 eggs per week since she started
big_smile.png

I also have an older Legbar cross who is now 25 weeks old and has yet to lay a single egg
hmm.png
She is significantly smaller in size compared to my Olive Egger, does anybody know if smaller breeds have a slower start in producing eggs? They've both been on the same organic feeds as long as i've had them and free range together every day, but I got the Olive Egger at 2 days old and the Legbar at 5 wks. Maybe diet in the early chick stage could affect egg production later on?

Lastly, I have two younger pullets, a 12 wk old Cream Legbar and a 14 wk old Cuckoo Marans, who I got at 2 weeks old and 4 weeks old respectively. I figure I still have another couple months before I can expect to find these two girls laying any eggs

Question. :p

I have my first flock ever. They are 16.5 weeks. No eggs yet... My giants waddles are red, but not their little crown.. When they turn red that means they are ready to lay?? Also, mine are not splitting and finding their own nesting boxes yet... They still are sleeping with their kind. Any helpful hints?

I don't know if it works, but my mother used to un-broody a hen by taking her off the nest and hosing her down good with a garden hose. I was 5 or 6 when I watched this interesting method. I am now 77. Might be worth a try...

I don't know if it works, but my mother used to un-broody a hen by taking her off the nest and hosing her down good with a garden hose.  I was 5 or 6 when I watched this interesting method.  I am now 77.  Might be worth a try...

sometimes the old methods work better than the new ones...

3 RIRs and 3 Yellow leghorns. I believe the leghorns or 13 weeks and the RIRs twelve. Estimated age based on feather development when I got them. I want eggs! When do they typically start laying? I was told close to 26 weeks. No?

Back
Top Bottom