Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Our Isa Brown named Chicka has the redest comb, has been wandering far from the rest of the flock and extremely vocal. I think she will be our first layer ♡

Our RIR I call RED I think will be second. She loves to cuddle on my lap

Same! I have a red sex link that looks just like that and walks around cackling all day...louder than my rooster!

I had one egg from my 18 1/2 week old leghorn the day before yesterday. Today I went to the coop and my 19 week old (today) Americana was in the nesting box, my buff Orpington appeared to be interested and my barred rock did the squat when I attempted to pet her. I am hoping this means they are close to laying. Wouldn't that be something? I will check in awhile to see if they left me a surprise:).

I had one egg from my 18 1/2 week old leghorn the day before yesterday. Today I went to the coop and my 19 week old (today) Americana was in the nesting box, my buff Orpington appeared to be interested and my barred rock did the squat when I attempted to pet her. I am hoping this means they are close to laying. Wouldn't that be something? I will check in awhile to see if they left me a surprise:).

Granny good morning,let's see it was 17 1/2 weeks. The day I found the eggs,in the morning I noticed squatting behavior. Later in the day by 1 BAM EGGS.How old are your girls?

oh, well I might not have all that much longer to wait... my 4 oldest ones are 10 1/2 weeks and then the other 10 are 7 weeks old... I should take my tablet out and take a few pictures so you could see what we're doing.... lol today is supposed to be the last hot day, then we're supposed to cool down into the 70's and 80's...

My RSL are 19 weeks two have not started to lay yet. But they all like me now and run to the gate when they hear me.I can,t wait till I can let them in the yard. But they say not to till are using the nesting box.

Is it normal for a chicken to lay more than one egg a day? On a normal day I let them out of the pen in the morning to free range, yesterday they weren't let out until about 2 pm. So our first layer didn't lay yesterday (that I know of). But today I found her in the garage making a fuss because the dog was too close and wouldn't leave the corner, I saw 1 egg. I brought the dog in and she eventually left that spot. Once she left that spot we found 2 eggs, then my daughter watched her lay another in the nesting box. I just want to make sure she is ok. I am not 100% certain the 2 in the garage were from today, but would they be ok if 1 possibly sat there all day & night? She is an Isa Brown.

Last edited:
finally 23 weeks one day. Yesterday morning it sounded like someone was crowing. This morning penny one of my slw was hanging out in the hen house longer than normal so I went out to check no egg. I fed and went on about my chores went back out just to check and there that BEAUTIFUL little egg sat on the ground in the middle of the coop. I was like a kid in a candy store. Jumping up and down yelling I got an egg I got an egg!

Back
Top Bottom