Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Okay, thanks!! I've actually heard wash them...don't wash them...so confusing with so much to learn. I won't wash them!
wink.png

My husband just recently added an extension to our gals' run to allow them to roam "free" for several hours a day. We waited for about a month after we got them before doing this. Also, we usually only let them roam later in the day, so that they will go back to the coop at bed time. We haven't had a problem yet. Our gals are very independent and are already in the habit of taking themselves to bed. Also, I open up the coup when I get up around 4:45 a.m. They come out at their leisure, and a couple of times they've gone back into the coop to lay eggs in the nesting boxes. They're very smart! I'm sure your girls will do just fine, Diney!

Wow! Some are laying eggs at 15 weeks? My mixed flock ar,e as of this coming Thursday, 18 and 19 weeks old. So I felt better reading your post. No eggs yet! Their combs are all red and I have seen a couple squat while walking around the yard. Should I put them on layer feed now or wait till they actually pop an egg out? I'm new at this and quite anxious. BTW what's an ISA? So many things to learn!

A ISA is just another hatchery name for a red sex link. I am a newbie too. But I am going to wait till most are laying before putting them on a layer feed. I am going to pick up some oyster shell for extra calcium just in case. You will see so many mixed reviews of putting them on Layer early or waiting but my personal opinion for my girls is to wait. I am so excited about finding my first egg, if they will just lay me one. Haha

I actually have started feeding my entire flock "All Flock" made by nutrena. It does not have the added calcium like layer so is fine for young pullets and roosters as well as ducks and turkeys.

I found an oyster shell they will actually eat. It is called Pacific Pearl. Mine would never touch the white rock looking pieces.

This is what it looks like.
http://www.thefarmstoreveneta.com/index.php/pacific-pearl-oyster-shell.html

This is what the bag looks like. Mine went nuts for it when I introduced this instead of the "other stuff".
http://www.murdochs.com/shop/pacific-pearl-oyster-shell/

Really my hens acted like a kid with a new flavor ice cream cone.

i think they will start laying soon! the top pictures are of charlotte (rhode island red) and bird (columbian rock) at 11 weeks and the bottom at 15 weeks. someone is also making a nest in the nest box. i'm thinking it was bird because there was a white feather in there. bird is also very chatty all the time! they are 16 weeks old now. the suspense is killing me! ha ha

Mine have been on starter/grower from day one. This particular feed has 20% protein. I plan to feed this to then until all 12 are laying. Starter/grower does not have enough protein so I offer them crushed oyster shells. Once all 12 are laying I will switch to a layer feed. In addition to the feed I offer them lots of vegetables. Everything we can't eat or that might have a rotten spot I feed to the chickens.

I have 5Black sussex and 1 red sussex the red was the last one and the place i got them had about 12-16 chicks left and we did not have room for all and since the red was the last one of that type was afraid no one would get her till the very last so went ahead and made her part of my six. waited to late to get the Americanua after getting the 6 we have found a place that was going to get some more but had no further place in the house for more and was not sure how long it would take for my husband and it to get the coop built . found some plans on line with the egg laying place on theout side of the coop then found individual boxes that we could put on the wall inside so we got those instead and on the out side on each box made little doors to go on each box with hinges and a latch that closes on itself like a hair bow closes thing i can think of to give you an idea as to what it looks like.Have pictures but don't know how long from now i can post pictures on the site. WE used mainly wood from other buildings on the property that is falling down so reused that would and bought only what we needed had 2 old windows we tried to use but could not they did not open so went to loswes and watched the return section for small window but none came in so just bought 2 it wasn't that high but these open . so i am waiting for eggs also. We had chickens before a long time ago then one day they just disappeared don't really know what happened. no sign of foul play or feathers or blood or anything that looked like it come from a chicken .Now I am a grand mother and we have a 3 year old grand daughter she loved the chicks when they were little then they had grown so much while she was at home when she come back she was afraid of them . now they are in the chicken coop out side and she will go with me half way and let me let them out or put the door down for the night . I am sure she will out grow this just don't know when . Since she like to help I am hoping when they start laying and i start collecting eggs whe will want to help and that will get her involved with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom