Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Mine are 20 weeks go out to clean them and check on them today and 2 of the 6 laid for first time it felt like they were never going to lay

I had one yesterday and nothing today. Praying I start getting more. My EE's are 21 weeks old. I hope the rest follow suit soon.

The little one is from my tiny bantam! It is dang near as big as she is and it took her like 5 days to work up to that sucker. I now have 3 medium eggs and my tiny egg. :) I am so stinkin' proud of my girls, it is ridiculous.

I had put two fake easter eggs in there, before they laid. Now that they are laying, they have pecked them open and done away with them. I can only assume they are buried somewhere in the coop. I will have to look but they absolutely kicked them out of the nest!

two of my girls are close!! heard the egg song for the first time today and then scared one of them out of the nest box when i opened it to check for eggs. they also have fluffier bottoms than the other two girls. lol. the RIR is really getting into the submissive squatting. it's been stinking hot here for the past few days though so i'm not holding out too much hope for an egg until it cools down a little. its been 36 (97) for the last few days and not cooling off much for a few more days at least.

One of my girls laid a shell-less and yolk-less egg the night of 7/24 and hasn't laid again since!! I don't know who it was but on of barnevelders started squaring for me a the next day but still no eggs from her anyways.

I'm beginning to think these girls will never lay for me :(

Last edited:
One of my girls laid a shell-less and yolk-less egg the night of 7/24 and hasn't laid again since!! I don't know who it was but on of barnevelders started squaring for me a the next day but still no eggs from her anyways.

I'm beginning to think these girls will never lay for me :(

Are they getting plenty of calcium? I had read many hens will eat the eggs if the shell isn't hard, so she could still be laying, but they might be eating it before you find it.

I'm beginning to think these girls will never lay for me
sad.png

When they first start to lay it is not unusual for them to have some flukes in the system. A lot of new layers will lay soft shelled eggs for a bit before the system is up and running correctly.

Patience is a virtue and they surely will try your virtue.

Try
So I have a question... How long after they start singing (approximately) do the eggs come?
I keep looking under trucks and trailers where they spend most of their day, I haven't noticed any interest in the nestting boxes.how do I make sure they use the boxes?
Thanks for the input.

Try leaving them in the coup for 24 hrs and see if any eggs come.

Are they getting plenty of calcium? I had read many hens will eat the eggs if the shell isn't hard, so she could still be laying, but they might be eating it before you find it.
that's possible but I don't think that's happening, I had an egg eater in my old flock 4 years ago and I would find the nesting material soiled with the yolk and albumen, the nesting material in my boxes is dry and clean so I don't think she's eating them. I check for egg white and yolk on the floor too and still don't find any. They're going to be 24 weeks on 8/4

Still no eggs here. We were out in the barn yesterday and DH heard one of the Welsummer hens doing her egg song which she has been doing for the last week. I asked him if he heard her and as he had never heard her before he didn't know what an egg song was so I explained it to him. He listened to her for a moment and remarked. "wish she'd shut up and just poop out an egg for us!"

My feelings exactly. It's like waiting for a baby to be born, it'll happen when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom