Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I'm beginning to think one of my Easter egger is barren. She had been squatting for like 20 days and no eggs. Her comb is still pinkish but turns red when she is excited. She eats and drinks fine... poop looks good. Should I be worried? I have 3 EE and none are laying but she is the only one that has been squatting.

How old are they?

At 22 weeks old, one of our Golden Sex Link pullets layed her first egg!!

I thought today would be the day. Heard one of the hens in the coop making the familiar "I'm laying an egg" cackle, went out to find she was just irritated that I hadn't already opened the door to the coop. Let them out, and they shut up. Darn.

How old are they?

22 weeks ish. We got 8 (3ee, 2br, 2 rir, and 1 leghorn) and we're told they were a week old the when we got them. The ee's were sold to us as americana(sp) but I have since been told they are not. I'm just concerned because she has been squatting for nearly a month and no eggs. I thought she might have been laying white eggs but we see the leghorn go in daily and lay and surely I would have found 2 white eggs in the coop in the last 12 days. And one of the other 2 ee's has just started to squat not even a full squat ywt.

My girls started sq
22 weeks ish. We got 8 (3ee, 2br, 2 rir, and 1 leghorn) and we're told they were a week old the when we got them. The ee's were sold to us as americana(sp) but I have since been told they are not. I'm just concerned because she has been squatting for nearly a month and no eggs. I thought she might have been laying white eggs but we see the leghorn go in daily and lay and surely I would have found 2 white eggs in the coop in the last 12 days. And one of the other 2 ee's has just started to squat not even a full squat ywt.
my silver laced Wyandottes started squatting almost two months before I saw my first egg. The first started laying at 23 weeks and the second just started Sunday at 28 weeks. My marans just started squatting in the last week so I'm sure in the next month or so I will start getting eggs from them. I think the squat is more of a "I'm ready to mate" sign. I checked my girls pelvic bones and could tell we were getting close.

[/IMG]
We got our first egg! I don't know which bird it came from, but it's a good size. The white egg is a store egg for comparison.
Lol, I was so excited I forgot to mention that my chickens are 18 weeks old. We have 3 columbian rock and 1 RIR. two of the CR are still a few weeks away from laying.

Last edited:
My girls started sq
my silver laced Wyandottes started squatting almost two months before I saw my first egg. The first started laying at 23 weeks and the second just started Sunday at 28 weeks. My marans just started squatting in the last week so I'm sure in the next month or so I will start getting eggs from them. I think the squat is more of a "I'm ready to mate" sign. I checked my girls pelvic bones and could tell we were getting close.

I'm not really sure how to check that. I try not to pick them up a lot now that they are bigger because if they struggle I'm afraid I'll hurt them. That and I drop everything I pick up. When I collect eggs from the one chicken that is laying I have to concentrate real hard from the coop to the house if I dont... I'll drop it!

Back
Top Bottom