Who else is waiting for that first egg?

We got another first egg. either yesterday or today. it was in the back corner of the hen house and had no shell. so 3/4 laying so far and they are 19 weeks now.

Go Black Copper Marans! Got my first dark brown egg- yehaaaa! (I did parkour on roof top of the coop)

Ya'll are too funny!
@Oliver Douglas I feel ya! Any day now. @chickendreams24 HA! go check in a month! It's agony the waiting! "SPIKED" to $2.50 per doz? How 'bout $5.49 for just plain XL eggs in So. Cal.Please don't squeeze yours just yet! @microchick You are a chickenmathmatical genius! We rely on that brilliant logic. Just keep on sticking to that story! 5 years from now, we'll all be in the black! Oh, that's when they stop producing and we have to restock...

On a slightly different note, I got my first 2 "blue" ducks eggs yesterday and this morning. She's been freeloading for months whilst everything else has been laying! They're a lovely addition to the egg rack.

This is Spice Chicks
I have 1 Red Sex Link and 5 Black Sex Links one of the Black ones i noticed today has a much fuller comb than the others . The others have a pea comb i think and this one looks like a single comb. Hers is more red where the others who have waht looks like a pea comb is still closer to pink than red. they will be 20 weeks starting tomorrow. have not seen first egg yet. I am not sure after the comb and wattles are closer to red than pink how long it may take to get first eggs. She will more than likely be ther first to lay.

So I've noticed a line forming to one nesting box. And there trying to go in to it 2 at a time... should i close off that box until they start laying in the other? I have 4 boxes for 8 pullets.

Aren't hens silly?

I have four nesting boxes of various sized from roomy to compact. So far we have two hens that are laying at this point and they are both using the same box. 4 boxes for 13 hens. Hens are gonna do what hens do and I have a feeling if I closed up the box d'jour they would just all pile into a different box to lay.

What's that old saying about choosing your battles wisely?
D.gif
\

I have 2 RIR, 2 BO, 2 GSL. They are all going to be 20 weeks tomorrow. No eggs yet. I don't understand all this talk about squatting. I can see how they would feel the need to squat some before they start laying, but I don't understand why people keep mentioning them squatting when you touch them. Mine have always done that. I thought they were just being a little skittish. Am I missing something? Also, I don't understand the "egg song." This may sound dumb but do they really make a melodic noise when they lay or is it a squawky sound? Or is it just a sound that each individual makes when laying and you just have to learn which sound means "hey I laid an egg" for each hen? Like I said, these may be silly questions but I'm new to this adventure so please have patience with me! Lol

Back
Top Bottom