Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I was starting to wonder if I would ever get to post in this thread... The are 21 weeks old and got my first egg, kinda small but that's ok.

I'm curious as well. I have a  Cuckoo, a White and a Splash. Still not to POL, I hope for dark brown eggs. If someone answers, would you please @Mutt Farm
 me?
this is number two from one if my cuckoos. She layed it this morning. It's much darker than the first and still has darker specks all over it.
[/IMG]

@cuckoo mama Beautiful egg! It is much darker! My cuckoo is 19 weeks, the other 2 marans are a month younger. I'm so anxious for dk brown eggs. I'm sad that one of my EE's started laying small pinkish brown eggs. I was hoping for blue since I only have brown layers otherwise.

Hi everybody. Although we've been reading and learning from this entire site since before we received our baby chicks at 1 day old, this is m first time actually posting anything.
We have 8 chickens:
2 Golden Comets
2 Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas
2 White Rocks
1 Buff Orpington
1 Welsummer

I've been tracking the weeks and last Saturday, at 20 weeks, one of our Golden Comets led the way in laying! My daughter was so excited! And honestly, so were we!
A few others (the EE's, a WR and either the other WR or Orp) have joined in over the past week but nothing consistent. We're still only getting about 1 egg total each day. Anyway, since I'm also expecting 1-2 more girls to start laying any day now (one of which is the other GC, which I thought would be the first one!), I was starting to get a bit frustrated. So on Friday (well into week #21), I took a couple of store-bought eggs and then class was in session. All looked interested... for a few brief seconds! Then they walked away, leaving me with the eggs and my star pupil - the first GC to lay! She has what I call "teacher's pet syndrome". Anyway, I just had to snap a few pics of our first egg (one with the girl that laid it and the other with my daughter) and then our collection at the end of our first week of laying. Enjoy!

I love that pic of the pullet with the egg. That look is priceless. Cute pic with the kiddo. She looks proud holding that first eggie.

Congrats on the nice assortment. It does pick up. Last winter my retired ladies quit for the entire winter. 0 Yes that is a zero eggs from September through Feb. I got the new chicks and the old ladies started to lay a few eggs. NOW I am swimming in eggs (not literally, that would be gross lol). The only ones left to start laying are the Brahma. I have 2 pullets that are laying double yolkers now. Victoria has laid only double yolked eggs, and now Rosie. Poor Rosie hers are HUGE. They wont even fit in a carton made for Jumbo eggs.

LOL if it does not pick up maybe do the crock pot show and tell session.
lau.gif

Last edited:
So I'm assuming they don't sing after every lay? I have one that just does her thing and goes on about her day. I think she maybe pulling out some of her feathers when she lays not a lot jus a few.... Is that normal? I know it's her because the feathers are a gray and she's is gray from the bottom of her wings down.

Last edited:
So I'm assuming they don't sing after every lay? I have one that just does her thing and goes on about her day. I think she maybe pulling out some of her feathers when she lays not a lot jus a few.... Is that normal? I know it's her because the feathers are a gray and she's is gray from the bottom of her wings down.
Mine don't always sing. And they were making egg noises for weeks before I got my first egg.

Back
Top Bottom