Who else is waiting the impossible wait?

pop.gif
We're waiting too... 8 hens that are about 17wks...we've got some pretty red combs and wattles now but the only egg we've gotten has been from a wandering chicken that got loose from the neighbors and came to visit! LOL
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I don't really know what it sounds like either, I see it spelled out as "bawk bawk baGAWK" (or something very similar) but somebody else posted a video of their girl "making a strange noise". It didn't sound at all like I had imagined, but another poster identified it as the egg song. Too me, it sounded like the "iirrggh, irrghh" sound my girls have been making for WEEKS.

I can't imagine why there's any confusion:lol:

Last edited:
I am going on a vacation and i am really scared they will lay while i am gone, beacase we told the people looking after our house that they get to keep the egg if they find it. >
sad.png

Quote:
I don't really know what it sounds like either, I see it spelled out as "bawk bawk baGAWK" (or something very similar) but somebody else posted a video of their girl "making a strange noise". It didn't sound at all like I had imagined, but another poster identified it as the egg song. Too me, it sounded like the "iirrggh, irrghh" sound my girls have been making for WEEKS.

I can't imagine why there's any confusion:lol:

I didn't know either so I looked it up on You Tube....

Here's a link to a good "egg song"

And another...

You may have to open up a new window and copy and paste them... Hope this helps

I was lucky enough to be right next to the coop when my Rebecca laid an egg (she's been laying for some months) but I had my cell phone with me and she started The Egg Song. I recorded it; it lasted 3 minutes.

If anyone would like to hear it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you from my phone.
big_smile.png

But really, it really DOES sound like "Bok bok bok bok bok bok bok bok Buh-GAWK!" repeated over and over and over again. (Emphasis on the "GAWK" at the end of each stanza.)

I went out to the coop today, to do some work on it and I noticed that one of the hens were very squawky. She was going in the box, sitting then coming out and squawking some more. Then the rest of the chickens took notice and started following her in there, even the rooster. Every time she left the box, he would look around, to see if she laid an egg. It was a very social event, they all looked like a bunch of midwives. About an hour later she came strutting out of the coop singing proudly.
It seems that their behavior as a group has changed a lot in the past week or so, since they've been laying. We're hearing different types of vocalizations than we've heard in the past and lots of them. They're beginning to sound like the dinosaurs from jurrasic park.
The rooster is acting much different also. He used to hog all the food, now he lets the hens have their share first.

My EE pullet never made a sound when she laid her first egg the other day. I had the entire egg-laying caught on video and she was very stoic and silent before, during and after the entire process. My Silver-Laced Wyandotte also seems very quiet.

I'm sure they're all different, but I had been told that hens will "sing" the egg-laying song. Today my EE laid her second egg and was quiet again. She did go to work tidying up the nest boxes after the egg was laid though. She was really funny -- walking in front of all the nest boxes picking out shavings one at a time and either tossing them back into the nest box or onto the floor. She moved from one box to the next and on down the line. After a few minutes of this she jumped down and ran out into the run to join the flock.

Back
Top Bottom