Who else is waiting the impossible wait?

Well, my girls were 28 weeks before they started laying. They started on Thanksgiving day - got 2 eggs. We have 4 hyline browns. Since then I have had 3 eggs every day - except for one day with only 2. They are beautiful, large eggs of lovely shades of brown. One of the hens is still not laying as far as I can tell. I am hoping she is just a late bloomer. She is now about 30 weeks, but I wonder if she was younger than the others when we got them (supposed to be 22 weeks).

Anyway they are all curious, entertaining and lovely company! They roam in the woods and in their pen and march into their coop at dusk. The eggs are delicious. So, hang in there. Some things take time.

S.

I've been on this particular thread way too long. My 5 girls range from 26 to 36 weeks and nothing. I have a whole coop of late bloomers.
tongue.png

Finally one of my BO's has blessed us with two eggs in as many days. Now hopefully the others will take the hint. I don't remember how old they are. I gave up and was hoping for the best.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

My 7 23 week olds are singing the egg song so loudly that I can hear it inside the house 150 ft. away from the coop. They are all squatting every time I go near them.

We got 1 little white egg last Saturday from my Golden Campine (only white egg layer I have). Since then, nothing but singing and squatting. Argggh.

My 11 production reds are 20 weeks. Very talkative and personable. No squatting yet. One of them has been sleeping in the nest box a few times. Several more experienced people told me early on that since they were coming into laying as winter hit, that I might get a few eggs over the winter, but not to get too anxious. Most likely will be early spring and I'll have more eggs than I know what to do with.

In the meantime, both roos have been getting frisky with them. The young one I expect it from. He's a teenager. But the adult roo getting frisky excites me. Maybe he knows something I don't? lol

2 bantams adopted mid-september.....NOTHING. 8 pullets we got mid-July, just turning 22 weeks....NOTHING. I am cursing living in Michigan because we may not see anything until spring. That's what I'm counting on, hopefully they surprise me.

That must have been incredible. My Delaware was in the nest box for nearly an hour today (I kept checking in on her). When she left the coop, I checked, and her first egg was in the nest box. It was still warm. Amazing.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom