Who else loves their Orps? Orp lovers and Orps ONLY Thread. If you are going to hate on Orps, you aren't allowed.

Whiting True Blue I would imagine?
Cool! @Auntiejessi3 shes actually an EE not a WTB. By hearing your WTB looks just like her, let’s hope that doesn’t mean she’s an EE to :gig

here she is! Her name is Opal (Chicken on the right. The chicken on the left is my other EE Jellybean who laid the egg in my first picture)
9E973D70-3F29-46A0-8340-F02B64EB9445.jpeg

You can see she’s not built the same as a WTB is, but I can see that from a head-on POV she looks like one a bit. Her tail is just like a WTB though, it’s one of my favorite things about her (Much more rounded

(Slight EE interruption here sorry 🤭)

Last edited:
Funny story about my first buff named Goldie...
I was about 8-9 years old when I got my first flock. I LOVED Goldie. She and I were very good pals. At the time I lived in a small subdivision outside of town, and was the only one with chickens. So one day, I am carrying Goldie around the neighborhood going on a walk, which apparently is not a normal thing to do. One of my neighbors sees me and calls out, "What sort of dog do you have there?" I walk over to her, tell her it is not a dog, it is a chicken, then proceed to tell her breed and gender. She asks a couple of questions about chickens, which I answer, then proceeds to stare at me very oddly as I continue to go on my walk with my chicken.
This made me smile. Sounds like my daughter, that's 9 years old. I believe her favorite thing to do is show off our chickens to my clients and then share all kinds of little facts about chickens. They're always leaving here with some kind of new knowledge about chickens. Our Buff Orpington, Darla, is always being paraded around.

This made me smile. Sounds like my daughter, that's 9 years old. I believe her favorite thing to do is show off our chickens to my clients and then share all kinds of little facts about chickens. They're always leaving here with some kind of new knowledge about chickens. Our Buff Orpington, Darla, is always being paraded around.
I love it! I am now majoring in poultry science in college, something I never would have dreamed of when I had that first flock. As your daughter gets older, I'd encourage her to look into it! Of course, if she decides she's interested in something else, that's great too!

I love the looks of orps and plain to get some one day. Why would people have beef against the orps? Do they have health isues?
I don't know many people who dislike orps. They're a great family bird. If you only want eggs, then don't get orps. Buy a Leghorn or RIR hybrid which are bred for great egg production with less feed consumption. Orps are pets first and they also happen to produce a good amount of eggs. Orps love being around people and constantly beg for treats. When free ranging, they don't travel too far from the feeder. Because they're bigger, orpingtons eat and poop more. Not as economical as other breeds. Think little terrier dog vs. a great dane. However, I still love them.

My kids have brought chickens to the park and on bike rides. We've had chickens for 9 years, so they pretty much grew up with them. I hatch in the local schools, so we've had some very "special" trained chickens who love to do tricks, attend community events as special guests, ride in parades, are often pictured in newsletters, and even receive their own "fan letters" from classrooms. Our daughter's silkie (Xansie) is known by name by almost all the children in our suburban town. "Bubbles" the amazing psychic chicken was another. After her magic card trick, she went on to play piano. (Seriously, our daughter wrote a grant to get a learning light up keyboard and Bubbles was taught to peck at the lighted keys. She was best at "Twinkle, Twinkle.")

I had a lav Orp named Cuddles who also did a few tricks. In general, my orps are slower to learn tricks. They're far from the smartest birds in the coop. However, they are highly motivated by food.

I don't know many people who dislike orps. They're a great family bird. If you only want eggs, then don't get orps. Buy a Leghorn or RIR hybrid which are bred for great egg production with less feed consumption. Orps are pets first and they also happen to produce a good amount of eggs. Orps love being around people and constantly beg for treats. When free ranging, they don't travel too far from the feeder. Because they're bigger, orpingtons eat and poop more. Not as economical as other breeds. Think little terrier dog vs. a great dane. However, I still love them.

My kids have brought chickens to the park and on bike rides. We've had chickens for 9 years, so they pretty much grew up with them. I hatch in the local schools, so we've had some very "special" trained chickens who love to do tricks, attend community events as special guests, ride in parades, are often pictured in newsletters, and even receive their own "fan letters" from classrooms. Our daughter's silkie (Xansie) is known by name by almost all the children in our suburban town. "Bubbles" the amazing psychic chicken was another. After her magic card trick, she went on to play piano. (Seriously, our daughter wrote a grant to get a learning light up keyboard and Bubbles was taught to peck at the lighted keys. She was best at "Twinkle, Twinkle.")

I had a lav Orp named Cuddles who also did a few tricks. In general, my orps are slower to learn tricks. They're far from the smartest birds in the coop. However, they are highly motivated by food.
Thank you so much for sharing this. Reading your reply has put the biggest smiles on our faces! This is so inspiring. Do you have any other posts about these adventures? I absolutely love this so much

Thank you so much for sharing this. Reading your reply has put the biggest smiles on our faces! This is so inspiring. Do you have any other posts about these adventures? I absolutely love this so much

Bubbles was the only one so far to go all the way to play a song. The others will peck at the lighted keys.... but not more than 4-5 notes before turning around and waiting for the treat.

Bubbles2.jpg
2.jpg
IMG_0810.JPG

I do have a serama pullet who learned how to peck a target in under 5 min. There's a strong chance she will be able to eventually play piano and perhaps even surpass what Bubbles had accomplished. (Sadly old Bubbles passed in late 2019.)

Back
Top Bottom