Who else owns a Tennessee Walker!?

Quote:
A lot of that depends on the breed. Usually saddle or pleasure type horses: Arabs, Morgans, Welsh Ponies, Saddlebreds, Walkers are shown in western with a long flowing mane and tail and usually do not allow extensions (Morgans for equitation only). Stock or Hunter types: AQHA, Paints, Appys, TB are typically shown with a banded short mane. Most stock breeds allow tail extensions.

I personally DESPISE tail extensions, I think they look fake and cheap, but I understand it is a "thing" that stock people do

Quote:
A lot of that depends on the breed. Usually saddle or pleasure type horses: Arabs, Morgans, Welsh Ponies, Saddlebreds, Walkers are shown in western with a long flowing mane and tail and usually do not allow extensions (Morgans for equitation only). Stock or Hunter types: AQHA, Paints, Appys, TB are typically shown with a banded short mane. Most stock breeds allow tail extensions.

I personally DESPISE tail extensions, I think they look fake and cheap, but I understand it is a "thing" that stock people do

I've gotta agree about the tail extensions. I always hated the way they looked. I especially hated when 4-Hers would spend hundreds on the stupid things when the rest of us just had backyard horses. However, there were a few times I saw a horse with a really nice extension that didn't look fake. Usually these are horses that already have pretty full tails.

I know, I really don't like tail extensions either, even the $300 one that a friend lent me did not look natural! I decided not to use it. And Appaloosas are known for their sparse manes nad tails, so I guess I have just gotten used to it and really don't mind it, I prefer a natural look over a big beautiful fake tail, but to each his own, lol! : )

Quote:
I don't like it either its like giving a person a bowl cut....it just looks weird to me. What is "roaching it"?

Op I do like your horse very nice looking horse....I like the first pic better....the dark coat.

Someone was gonna cut my horse a bridle path when at there property with out asking me....they did not but I would of been p od to say the least.

Quote:
I don't like it either its like giving a person a bowl cut....it just looks weird to me. What is "roaching it"?

Op I do like your horse very nice looking horse....I like the first pic better....the dark coat.

Someone was gonna cut my horse a bridle path when at there property with out asking me....they did not but I would of been p od to say the least.

Roach is when you shave off the whole mane. I think they do this to some draft breeds so the hair doesn't get in the way of the harness. Other breeds do it to show off the neck of the horse.

I think that's the main reason to cut a mane for a show. It's difficult to see the structure of the neck under all that hair. I think there are plenty of practical reasons to cut a mane short though. While some people like the short mane look, others are just not all that particular about how the horse looks as long as it's healthy and happy. However, I've seen some gorgeous western pleasure horses that look awesome with a short mane. Our one gelding looks terrible with a long mane because he's old and has a thin mane. We chop it short so it doesn't look all scraggly.

Sorry to hi-jack the TW thread!

Me and my TWH, Hodge (age 22):

P1010018-2.jpg

This photo is from several weeks ago. Hadn't ridden him in at least 5 years. I usually ride my Rocky Mtn Horse or Spotted Saddle Horse.

P1000877-1.jpg

Quote:

Roaching it means shaving the whole mane off. It is sometimes done to driving horses, polo ponies or jumpers, sometimes to endurance horses. Intention is that it keeps the mane out of the way so it doesn't get tangled in the harness or reins and/or keeps the horse coolor

I rescued a MASSIVE Tennessee Walker Gelding a while back (has been rehomed for a few months now). That boy could flat out MOVE! He stood nearly 16hh and was bigger built then most QH's I've seen. He could get a pretty nasty attitude undersaddle, had to lunge the beejeezus out of him before getting on. Then he would just go...and go....and go....and go....

Like riding air
smile.png
Attitude was from two years of NO riding though. He was very well trained, just lazy.

Otherwise I like my Foxtrotters, even though Walkers can easily outpace most
big_smile.png
Loki's the only Foxtrotter I know who can keep up with a Walker. His breeders clocked him at 19mph under saddle, full Foxtrot.

I DID just buy a TWHxMFT cross though. I can't wait to get him out on my place!

My TWH has a thin long mane, and I trim the ends a bit to help thicken it up. You can't really notice, I only take an inch.

She has a curb because I hate to use my hands. I practice collecting her up a bit, then let her follow the bit out, and that's made a good difference in her length of stride and relaxing her back.

Back
Top Bottom