Who has gutters on your coop

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
At first I was thinking no gutters then it started to rain...and rain...and rain...
sad.png
Then I got to thinking hey I could put up gutters and a rain barrel and use it to water the plants around the coop. Now I'm wondering how to set it up. since it has been raining I've had alot of time thinking about the design instead of actually designing it.....lol. So do any of you have gutters on your hen houses?

We only get enough rain in March and July-September to justify a gutter and even then it's only once or twice during those months.

I imagine you'd do it the same way you put gutters on your home?

Easiest thing is to use the same gutters you'd use for your house, installed the same way.

If it's a tiny coop and they'd be overwhelmingly huge, it is possible to slice PVC pipe lengthwise into a 'gutter'. You could probably even make something out of good-quality 1x lumber and a lot of caulk and paint... wooden gutters don't work well on *houses* but for a coop all it'd have to do is intercept 'most' of the water. And there'd be little enough of it that it wouldn't be too horrible to replace periodically.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I'm putting rain gutters on my coop. I'm using them to collect rainwater for my pig who will be sharing the same building.

I've read here on BYC that it should be okay for the chickens too, but I have a feeling the pig will use it all up, so the chickens may or may not get the rain water also.

Considering the spring fed well my house has, all of our water is pretty much rainwater.

I put gutters on my coop one side goes into rain barrell that I use to water chickenc and ducks rain water is better for them than city water. The othe side goes to a kiddie pool for the ducks. You put them on the same way as you do the house.

I was wondering if I could use rain water for my hens. That's great. Thanks for all the info. My coop will only be 4' x 6' so regular gutters would look to big. Maybe I'll try and use pvc piping.

thanks again

I've split PVC pipe before using a table saw. It all but ruined the blade, but it worked.

My neighbor has real simple wood gutters on his barn. They are just "V's" made out of two boards. I may do something like them scaled down obviously.
IMG_0918.JPG

The may be hard to see there, but this link will show it larger.

I would put on gutters. or else in a couple months you will be posting a thread about having a muddy run... we live in the PNW and it rains and rains. they also have a lot of metal flashing at home depot that can be used. that's what we did. slipped it under the edge of the roof. Cheap, easy and effective.

I would do it for the rain barrels.... My run is going to turn to mud no matter what I do.

As for how, and more ideas on how to set up rain barrels... or how to even make them... goto BYC's gardening sister site. I use it religiously to do my gardening with animals.

http://www.theeasygarden.com

Please come visit the forum... you'll get a lot of photos and steps on doing this there! We just had a conversation about setting them up on someone's house.

Back
Top Bottom