Who has one and only one breed?

seeeee??? It's not just me....
yippiechickie.gif

My goal is to have one breed. I currently have 3 orpingtons and 1 bantam. The bantam is the sole survivor from another flock. I researched the orpingtons for the best breed to get along with my bantam. My experience with mixed flocks has not been good. I think all one breed gets along better and presents fewer problems. In the future, I will always try to have one breed only.

I have a flock (30) of EEs that I adore, but recently Spangled Orloffʻs have caught my attention. Since they lay tinted eggs, what will they do if bred by my EE roos? I hate to pollute the gene pool, but they are physically similar. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on selecting or de-selecting rumpie EEʻs for breeding?

Quote:
Do you think it is a size thing? I have a couple different breeds that get along fine, but they're hens that are all pretty much the same size.

I think different breeds have different personalities and they are not all compatible. I have had some really nasty bantams, so I don't think it is necessarily a "size" thing. I think if you plan to mix breeds, then do research on temperaments.

I have only l breed, RIR's and very happy with just the one kind. I get plenty of eggs, nice brown one's that some people think are better than white. 1 RIR roo who is really KING O THE WALK, He runs my Great Dane from the chicken run to the house, also the pitt. I guess I just have " chicken dogs"
frow.gif
marrie

Back
Top Bottom