Who has purchased eggs from ebay ? and what was your hatch rate ?

Progress on my ebay eggs :) day 10
- finally taken the 10 eggs out I believed to have not developed, left the 12 in that were growing. So cracked them open the 7 silkie eggs which were so scrambled they would never of been able to grow so ****** off at that only 7 out of 10 grew. It's not my incubator because its always around the 99-100d mark and humidity is around 35 and has a steady air flow. They were packed with shitty tissue so I'm not surprised only 3 survived. I had 2 large fowl sussex eggs which both started to grow but stopped. And 1 light sussex egg that was so porus nothing in it would have survived !

Today which is day 13
I think 2 of my eggs have have up, but I'm sure one o 2 of my eggs have stuck to the wall of the egg, has any on had experience with this ?

...no sign of pipping as of today which is day 22. I'm beginning to think that E-bay eggs are not worth the time/frustration levels. I'm so used to 75-100% hatch rate from hatchery eggs (also mailed to me) and the yield from the e-bays is so disappointing. I wish more folks would have left comments of hatch rate, quitters anb infertile eggs. This info may have dissuaded me from ordering. I think I'll have to incur the additional expense and go back to hatchery eggs. Good luck to everyone else's hatches! : )

From what everyone is saying, eBay eggs seem very hit or miss. But I have a feeling it is shipped eggs in general that are hit or miss and it all comes down to the flock the eggs came from and the packing methods of the sellers.
Someone said earlier that they offer sellers an additional $10 to pack the eggs the way they want if they don't already and honestly that might be the best hope anyone has for their shipped eggs. That and if they incubate in egg cartons if the air cells are damaged.
There are so many factors involved when you buy shipped eggs, it is really difficult to make sure all of them are done correctly.
The nice thing about eBay is yes, they have reviews. Not everyone waits until the 21st day to write their review as we might wish, but people do usually write if any eggs were broken upon arrival of if the packing method was terrible.
I for one will definitely wait three weeks to write my review. Worth it to help future buyers make their decision.

Still realistically optimistic about my hatch!

From what everyone is saying, eBay eggs seem very hit or miss. But I have a feeling it is shipped eggs in general that are hit or miss and it all comes down to the flock the eggs came from and the packing methods of the sellers.
Someone said earlier that they offer sellers an additional $10 to pack the eggs the way they want if they don't already and honestly that might be the best hope anyone has for their shipped eggs. That and if they incubate in egg cartons if the air cells are damaged.
There are so many factors involved when you buy shipped eggs, it is really difficult to make sure all of them are done correctly.
The nice thing about eBay is yes, they have reviews. Not everyone waits until the 21st day to write their review as we might wish, but people do usually write if any eggs were broken upon arrival of if the packing method was terrible.
I for one will definitely wait three weeks to write my review. Worth it to help future buyers make their decision.

Still realistically optimistic about my hatch!

problem with ebay is sellers put in a disclaimer of viability after postage so they sometimes send crap eggs that are more than 7 days old
other times ebay eggs are from sellers that keep chicken and sell surplus eggs to make a few bob not realising how to keep eggs or max storage time
and they get away with it due to the disclaimer

where as pro breeders have a reputation to protect

I sell my eggs and so far 5/6 have hatched every time shipped

I brought Cream Legbar Eggs from a show breeder and all 6 hatched shipped eggs

but I brought ebay Asil eggs and they where clearly more than 7 days old

the seller I bet didn't even realise that you cant keep eggs too old and need to turn them

as far as he was concerned he was selling his surplus eggs and Asils don't lay that many eggs so he kept and stored every layed eggs and auctioned them off

Last edited:
Day 14 here guys, out of the 12 I thought were growing I believe 6 have quit
sad.png
because some have stopped moving and look like they are stuck to the wall of the shell has any one had experience like this ?
where you turning them?

Back
Top Bottom