Who has t

I think that coop could be ok with modifications. Which it sounds like OP's husband can do. Personally, I would use that coop but build a large run all around it, with the coop in the middle. Run would be all hardware cloth and covered. And I would leave that coop open 24/7, which is what I do and I live in northern Ohio. OP, how many chicks do you have?

I think that coop could be ok with modifications. Which it sounds like OP's husband can do. Personally, I would use that coop but build a large run all around it, with the coop in the middle. Run would be all hardware cloth and covered. And I would leave that coop open 24/7, which is what I do and I live in northern Ohio. OP, how many chicks do you have?
6 chicks and their coop will be in one of my 1 acre horse pens that has fencing underground.

6 chicks and their coop will be in one of my 1 acre horse pens that has fencing underground.
Do the horse pens have hardware cloth all around? I wouldn't think so but who knows? Predators can get your chicks at any time without hardware cloth. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I would enclose the entire run that came with the coop, add some ventilation, and use the entire thing as the coop, and then build a secure run that allows at least 10 square feet of room per bird. Also, that roof will fall apart after one winter if you get any kind of snow. You could put the coop inside an enclosed run with a roof. That may help. Also, if you put a floor under the run that came with the coop, you could put it up on blocks so the chickens have enough room to go under it. That way they don't loose ground space in the run.

I will go against everyone, and say it's fine, as long as they can free range. I have a very small yard, so I have the biggest prefab I could find. After adding paint, ventilation, latches, and securing the hardware cloth, it works. It does not leak, has not fallen apart, and provides a place for them to sleep and take shelter in bad weather. They are never stuck in it for long, and even during bad weather are welcome to come out and hang out under the deck, under an eave, or in the shrubs. I have 2 in there now, and will add 2 more, which will be the absolute limit for sleeping. If I need more space, I can expand it (there's a thread for that!). But I would not be happy with it, nor would my birds, if they were stuck in it and the "run" it comes with all day.
0202210744a.jpg

Exactly. My husband built our barn for our horses so he can build or add on to my coop. I wanted to make sure I had at least something for the them.
The tiny coop will work OK for chicks and as an isolation/broody/hospital coop after your hubs has built a larger coop and run to house the main flock.

Back
Top Bottom