Who here is into Photography?

It's what pays the bills here

osprey.jpg

1054731052_Us5cz-XL.jpg

1058183995_b2X9p-XL.jpg

1119496814_FPxjr-O.jpg

Last edited:
philter the details are impressive. Are they painted on or are you using the colored clay? Is this like your version of a model railroad? Have to say I like yours better then any RR I've ever seen! How long has it taken?

Quote:
Thank you, most of these ones are painted but some of the plants, especially the flowers are colored clay.

This is my version of a safari, since the end of the 90's I have not been able to travel as much because of a chronic illness and I have to be able to get to a Doctor or hospital within a day or two at the most in an emergency. Before that I traveled all over the world scuba diving and collecting animals for zoos, public aquariums and private collections. These models are based on places, plants, and animals I have seen while travelling.

I started the first one (South African scrub and savanna) in 2008 but it has evolved as I got better at making things. I started using toy animal figures along with trees and plants, there are several toy companies that make different plants and trees for their zoo animal collections and I bought a lot of them. From there it went to the model railroad style of plants and trees, using plastic trunks and branches with colored lichen and foam clumps to make different things. At that time I also started making the landscaping rocks and backgrounds using hydrocast and preformed molds of different rocks. From there the foliage changed to Selkirk Scenery, which makes an artificial leaf that is much better then the foam and lichen but still looks like a model railroad. I also started sculpting my own animals as well as have other custom made and making the landscapes from scratch using clay instead of plasters. The last step, which is what you see, was to start sculpting everything like model dollhouses do, the process is painstakingly slow but the results are what is in the photos. For people who know plants they can tell you the different species by just looking at the leaf shape or color of the trunks and branches, even things like the aloe and flowers on the protea from South Africa can be told apart. I have 5 different species of philodendron and each one can be identified by leaf shape and exposed pattern on the tuberous root structure.

Quote:
Thank you, most of these ones are painted but some of the plants, especially the flowers are colored clay.

This is my version of a safari, since the end of the 90's I have not been able to travel as much because of a chronic illness and I have to be able to get to a Doctor or hospital within a day or two at the most in an emergency. Before that I traveled all over the world scuba diving and collecting animals for zoos, public aquariums and private collections. These models are based on places, plants, and animals I have seen while travelling.

I started the first one (South African scrub and savanna) in 2008 but it has evolved as I got better at making things. I started using toy animal figures along with trees and plants, there are several toy companies that make different plants and trees for their zoo animal collections and I bought a lot of them. From there it went to the model railroad style of plants and trees, using plastic trunks and branches with colored lichen and foam clumps to make different things. At that time I also started making the landscaping rocks and backgrounds using hydrocast and preformed molds of different rocks. From there the foliage changed to Selkirk Scenery, which makes an artificial leaf that is much better then the foam and lichen but still looks like a model railroad. I also started sculpting my own animals as well as have other custom made and making the landscapes from scratch using clay instead of plasters. The last step, which is what you see, was to start sculpting everything like model dollhouses do, the process is painstakingly slow but the results are what is in the photos. For people who know plants they can tell you the different species by just looking at the leaf shape or color of the trunks and branches, even things like the aloe and flowers on the protea from South Africa can be told apart. I have 5 different species of philodendron and each one can be identified by leaf shape and exposed pattern on the tuberous root structure.

Quote:

Quote:
I'd like to know too!

Two Creeks, beautiful photos. I especially like the pattern in the water of the stream pic!

I heart - some very nice pics. Really like the mountain pic. Were the tulips the Holland Michigan tulip festival by chance? Went there once as a kid and thought it was awesome. Had forgotten that trip until I saw you photos, brought back some great memories. Thanks!

Here are a few I just took before the torrential rains came a few days ago.

66877_dsc_9094.jpg

66877_dsc_9106.jpg

66877_dsc_9121.jpg

Wild roses and a bee

66877_dsc_9123.jpg

Center of a clematis, w/ a bug

66877_dsc_9136.jpg

Lilac and butterfly

66877_dsc_9139.jpg

66877_dsc_9146.jpg

66877_dsc_9157.jpg

Quote:
Beautiful work! I lust after the d3 but I am very happy with nikon d700.
I used it on this one... wrapping paper background and bounced my big flash off the ceiling.
One of my 3 silkies.
29542_babychicks-4web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom