Who is against no-crow collars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Some years ago I had serious thoughts about using a no crow collar. During the day he was no problem and we can have roosters were I live if nobody’s complaining. But early in the morning my cockerel was an alarm clock for a few neighbours snd myself. So I thought this collar would be ‘the egg of Columbus’. .

But after reading about roosters getting breathing problems, red mites living under it and broken neck feathers I started to doubt. Discussing it with MDH we decided to return the rooster where I bought him as a chick. We kept him a few weeks longer to collect fertilised eggs. And put them under a broody.
Wish I could have a roo

I love hearing stories of sweet roosters, and I'd love to hatch fertilized eggs
Three years ago I bought an egg-box with fertilised eggs for a broody. I tried a new breed. I kept the cockerel until spring to get some offspring.
This year I already made an appointment with a bantam RIR breeder to do the same trick again. The breeder claims his roosters have a nice sound and don’t crow much. I will see /hear if I get cockerels.

chickens are livestock, I don't care how you handle them, but there are breeds of chickens bred just for food :).. it is what it is.
😞 off topic
Dogs, cats, frogs, songbirds , guinea pigs and other animals are kept for food in other countries. You call these livestock too? I’m just saying this to look at animals from another perspective.

IMO its weird to mistreat animals because they are labelled as livestock. I’m not saying that you do. Sure you don’t or you would not be on this platform. But I know that in factory farming and even in some backyards there is a lot of animal abuse going on.

Last edited:
I do not believe that a crow collar is cruel. I mean I believe humans are quite cruel as standard, we have pretty much wiped all wildlife from europe as it was a threat to us but it didn't always used to be so populated, so this whole argument is a bit mute. The people ready to butcher a chicken if needed are saying the collar is cruel and the people that use them say butchering a chicken is cruel but it is never as black and white.

If one cannot provide for a home then not killing a chicken might be cruel. Just like when abortions were legalised, strangely 20 years later crime drastically dropped and initially it was not understood why but eventually the link was made that if children were forced to be born when the parents knew they could not provide a good childhood, the likelihood of them becoming young offenders 20 years later was higher than for a well cared for loved child and as unwanted pregnancies dropped so did crime 20 yeas later as a result.

So what is cruel? Most poeple have a difinition in their head but it is clearly completely different criteria for most people.

But back to the collar, if it a choice between a chicken soup or the collar I think the collar should be tried but they really don't work well. What worked far better for me in the end was placing my cockerel into a low box every night so he could not stretch his neck. If he couldn't stretch his neck fully he couldn't inflate his crowing balloon fully and this did muffle him enough not to wake me but it was a pain putting him into a box every night and having to let him out in the morning.

I do not believe that a crow collar is cruel. I mean I believe humans are quite cruel as standard, we have pretty much wiped all wildlife from europe as it was a threat to us but it didn't always used to be so populated, so this whole argument is a bit mute. The people ready to butcher a chicken if needed are saying the collar is cruel and the people that use them say butchering a chicken is cruel but it is never as black and white.

If one cannot provide for a home then not killing a chicken might be cruel. Just like when abortions were legalised, strangely 20 years later crime drastically dropped and initially it was not understood why but eventually the link was made that if children were forced to be born when the parents knew they could not provide a good childhood, the likelihood of them becoming young offenders 20 years later was higher than for a well cared for loved child and as unwanted pregnancies dropped so did crime 20 yeas later as a result.

So what is cruel? Most poeple have a difinition in their head but it is clearly completely different criteria for most people.

But back to the collar, if it a choice between a chicken soup or the collar I think the collar should be tried but they really don't work well. What worked far better for me in the end was placing my cockerel into a low box every night so he could not stretch his neck. If he couldn't stretch his neck fully he couldn't inflate his crowing balloon fully and this did muffle him enough not to wake me but it was a pain putting him into a box every night and having to let him out in the morning.
Great thoughts, MellowMalt! Thanks for sharing!

But what about the places with rules about absolutely no roosters? There are plenty of people here that get the crow collars because they think the rule is stupid and want a rooster anyways. They can't live in a low box forever

But what about the places with rules about absolutely no roosters? There are plenty of people here that get the crow collars because they think the rule is stupid and want a rooster anyways. They can't live in a low box forever
The rule in my town is no roos, so I always get a sexed run, of course that never works with silkies.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom