WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Five days till my eggs hatch will be 4 tonight
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Mine arrived last night! And of course we are having super unseasonably cold weather right now (-25 C overnight) Not the greatest to bring home some new chicks.... It's our first foray into having chickens and I have to say, they are so darn cute!
I have 16 Bielefelders. 12 girls and 4 boys. 

Last edited:
Actually at Meyer hatchery in January when I ordered I was ABLE TO CHOOSE THE SEX OF MY SUPRISE BREED!! So I picked MMMF meaning Meyer Meal Maker Female!! the other choice was MMMM meaning Meyer Meal Maker Male. Funny though I looked back on the site later and it didn't have the option to choose anymore, however it only offered MMMF which would be the female. They call it the Meal Maker because they ask you to donate eggs to needy or neighborhood folks who might need some help. I've named mine Charity. Also another thing Meyer does that really suprised me was they said to me "Because I paid for all my other birds to get the Mareks vaccine They will give the Mareks vaccine to my free female chick AT NO CHARGE TO ME!!" So when you order from Meyer you don't have to worry that their free chick is a male unless you order early and CHOOSE a male. so if your ordering from Meyer don't be afraid to add the free chick. just tell them you want the MMMF female.NO WORRIES :) in fact if you do have a Meyer order ID definitely call and get your free layer!it's not too late to add her :) hope this helps!!

I have ordered mine from MurrayMcMurray. They had an offer of 15 ornamental layers and I wanted to try different breeds. You don't have the choice of sex when it comes to the free chick, so I declined.
It's very nice that Meyer sends a free chick for eggs to be donated to charity. And what a great choice of name for yours!
1f44d-1f3fc.png

I've never heard of a white Orpington, we wanted white silkies but the minimum order was 15. We have 25 buff orpingtons coming in 2 weeks and we don't want to crowd them.

Orpingtons come in many different colors but not all are recognized. I actually don't know if the white is, but it is very pretty. I'm still on the lookout for English Orpingtons in my area. I'd love to get another lavender and a jubilee.

I
I placed one of my folding, adjustable height sawhorses across/over the new brooding box and hung the heat lamp from it via a chain. Not only safer but easier to regulate the temperature too.
The chicks are huddled in the corner because one of my dogs was checking them out
Regarding the Sunbeam heating pads with the always on feature, where do you get these? Every single heating pad or heated blanket/throw I have seen automatically shuts itself off after an hour or few (safety feature). NEVER have I seen one with a switch that overrides this and lets the pad/blanket remain on.
I got mine at Walmart. You can override the timer w the sunbeam. I encourage you to read the "mama heating pad in the brooder" . There are loads of info and a lot of people who have used this method sharing their experience

Mine ship april 4th tommorow. 11chicks 10- blue orpintons 1-jubelee orpington so i have a large $$ amount invested as these are very expensive an rare! Cant wait. These will be my birthday blues.
Did you get your chicks today? Good luck with them I'm getting mine in 3 weeks.

Did you get your chicks today? Good luck with them I'm getting mine in 3 weeks.

so do your chicks ship on the 20th? mine ship out next Monday!! which is April 11th.I'm so excited. I'm praying they all arrive alive and healthy!! I ordered in January. it's been a long wait! :)

Back
Top Bottom