WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

I cringed when I read your post about what you came home to find, @FlyWheel and I was torn between heartsick for you or being overjoyed that it wasn't so much worse!!! Like a lot of other people, I've tossed the heat lamps and I will never, ever use one again! I don't care how secured they are, down, dust and dander can still float around, settle on the lamp, and cause a tragedy. If I can't touch every part of a brooding heating system, it's not going in my house, my coop, or around my chickens!

Here are a couple of links that can explain how the Mama Heating Pad System works. There are some videos on the thread (I think the first one is on about page 4)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

And I brood my chicks outdoors. They are happier and healthier and so am I and my family.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

so do your chicks ship on the 20th? mine ship out next Monday!! which is April 11th.I'm so excited. I'm praying they all arrive alive and healthy!! I ordered in January. it's been a long wait! :)
wow yeah that is a long wait! Sorry I meant 4 weeks on the 27th but we didn't order them we are going to rural king on the 27th to get them. Good luck with you new little ones! :)

Here is also a link to the heating pad I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-...kmr1&keywords=Sunbeam+x-tra+large+heating+pad

All you really have to look for is that you can bypass the "auto-shut off" feature. On the controls of mine not only are the settings there, but there is a button for "Stay ON". I have the large one I ordered from the Amazon link, although some folks have found it in their local drugo or department stores, and I also have the exact same one in a smaller size that I got from good old Walmart. It will say right on the box that you can have it "Stay On".

I don't use a thermometer to gauge how to set the heating pad. I start out on 5 to 6 (because they are outside where temps fluctuate more than indoors) and watch the chicks. They let me know real quick if they are comfy or not. If it seems like they are too chilly, I just smoosh the frame down a little bit - they want that warmth right at their backs at first, just like under Momma Hen. They sleep all night long, they are confident, and they thrive.

0.jpg

Thanks, I found one on Amazon, I AssUMe that you just use a thermometer to find the best numerical setting?

With the Sunbeam I put mine on 6 the highest setting yesterday was one week my four healthy chicks slept on top of MHP so it went down to 5. My little Coccidiosis chick will be just fine at 5 as well as she catches up with her sisters. I will place chicks in the garage next weekend and I will probably keep it at five for the first week of the garage stay and then bump it down. Chicken behavior begins at that point.

I bought some Cornish Cross and a assortment of layers from Estes Hatchery. They are doing great. I had to separate the layers from the meat chickens yesterday due to the meat chickens being pigs. I'm also hatching some eggs a friend gave me. The hens are RS's and the rooster is a BR. They go in lock down today. I'm so excited. My turkey eggs arrive at the end of April.

I got mine today, and all 4 were alive and well! They're adjusting well to the EcoGlow and have all started eating and drinking and running around, yay!

I got mine today, and all 4 were alive and well! They're adjusting well to the EcoGlow and have all started eating and drinking and running around, yay!
That's great they are all find and made it I'm sure they will grow up and be great chickens and be your best friends. Best of luck! :)

I got my tracking number for my 32 new little chirppies today. They are shipping form McMurray to Southeast Georgia. I do hope they arrive alive. My question is, it says three days. Does today count as one day, meaning they will be here Thursday morning? Or would it be Friday. Seeing how they probably hatched last night, Friday morning puts them here past the 72 hours from hatch post office deadline. I hope they all arrive okay...

I got my tracking number for my 32 new little chirppies today.  They are shipping form McMurray to Southeast Georgia.  I do hope they arrive alive.  My question is, it says three days.  Does today count as one day, meaning they will be here Thursday morning?  Or would it be Friday.  Seeing how they probably hatched last night, Friday morning puts them here past the 72 hours from hatch post office deadline.  I hope they all arrive okay...

I will say a little prayer for your chicks to arrive alive and healthy. please say a prayer for mine as well. mine ship out of Ohio Monday and have to travel to California.I just pray they arrive alive and healthy as well. From what I've read you can't much count on the tracking number as a legitimate estimate of where your chicks are at. some have even said the tracking number has shown their chicks in one state and they get a call from the post office that they have arrived and pick them up. we're your chicks shipped priority or express? usually the larger number of over 15 go priority because they are able to stay warm quite well. let us know when they arrive, can't wait to see them♡♡♡ prayers said for their safe trip :)

I will say a little prayer for your chicks to arrive alive and healthy. please say a prayer for mine as well. mine ship out of Ohio Monday and have to travel to California.I just pray they arrive alive and healthy as well. From what I've read you can't much count on the tracking number as a legitimate estimate of where your chicks are at. some have even said the tracking number has shown their chicks in one state and they get a call from the post office that they have arrived and pick them up. we're your chicks shipped priority or express? usually the larger number of over 15 go priority because they are able to stay warm quite well. let us know when they arrive, can't wait to see them♡♡♡ prayers said for their safe trip
smile.png
Tracking shows Priority 3 day. I hope they are here Thursday morning as hat would make the most sense as far as time, transit routes and meeting the 72 hour requirement.

Will pray for both shipments. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom