WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by realsis, Mar 30, 2016.

1. WyoJax

WyoJax Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Wyoming
    Reason why I turned mine down was because my four larger chicks were sleeping on top, as my fifth is smaller and trying to catch up she was under MHP but the four let me know it was warmer than they needed, they will help Lucky Lucy stay warm under the cooler MHP.

2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    34.560847, -81.154203
    My Coop
    I've had my babies for a week now (which means they are probably a week and a half old) Under the lamp it is slightly over 85F, at the far end just under 80F. Currently they wander around the entire brooding bin comfortably so I'm thinking somewhere in that range to start. Their bin is in the garage which although not heated is also not drafty. That and temperature fluctuations are not as great.

The heating pad (same one you got) is scheduled to arrive today, so when it does I am going to build a support cage out of 1/2" hardware cloth. Would a vinyl sheet make a good poo-proof covering for the pad under the top bedding?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I just like plain old Press 'n Seal pressed onto a old, thin towel and draped over the pad. I've never used anything else because this works so well - it's soft and they love to snuggle and wrestle on top of it. I don't have to worry if what I'm using is over-insulating. So I guess I'd say try it and see how it either blocks or holds in heat, then make a decision. You might also ask over on the Mama Heating Pad thread - maybe someone's already done it and can tell you if it works or not. Others have put the heating pad on the inside of the frame, holding it up with small bungee cords, and then encasing the entire assembly inside a fleece pillowcase. That's @Beekissed preferred method and she's been doing this longer than I have.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

The link to the page where Bee shows her setup:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update/450

4. Kalani

Kalani Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Coventry RI
    My chicks shipped today! Got my fingers crossed that everything goes well!

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    keep us. posted and show pictures when they arrive!! how eggciting!!:)♡♡♡ mine ship monday!!!

6. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    This chicks all look so great! We go pick up from Meyer mid May then mid July. First time:D
    1 surprise chick each time
    2 buff Orpington 2 black australorp then
    3 easter Eggers
    Can't wait to share them when it's finally time.

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    I am picking up our first chicks tomorrow morning.....

1 person likes this.
  8. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I am so excited. My baby chicks were shipped today from ideal. I ordered 10 silkies assorted. 2 glw. 2 standard white Cochins and 2 barnvelders. They r coming from Texas to New Hampshire. I hope they get here all alive.

1 person likes this.
  9. Clevelandohio

Clevelandohio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    I'm currently waiting on an order from McMurray that shipped Monday night. 25 ornamental layers plus a suprise .... Which I'll have no idea which one is the suprise unless it's a rooster. Kinda like playing Russian roulette. I'm just so nervous as we are approaching 3 days tomorrow in transit. I have a belly ache worried for the littles. And my 2 year old daughter will be with me the whole time. Please pray they arrive safely tomorrow morning.

10. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    I'm sending good vibes for a safe arrival. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by