WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Reason why I turned mine down was because my four larger chicks were sleeping on top, as my fifth is smaller and trying to catch up she was under MHP but the four let me know it was warmer than they needed, they will help Lucky Lucy stay warm under the cooler MHP.

Nope, a Mama Hen doesn't need to turn her heat up and down. She also doesn't have night lights under her wings!
wink.png
While the idea behind MHP is to mimic a broody hen, it can't do that 100% any more than an Eco Glow can. The reason I turn MHP down is for the same reason that folks who use heat lamps raise the height of their lamps weekly.... it's an artificial heat. As such, it can't replicate perfectly what Mom does, and it's a drier heat as well. So I just watch the chicks and when they are kinda of roosting half in and half out at the front of the cave I'll turn the heat down about halfway or raise the frame. Either way, they are content. I start mine at a higher temp than folks who brood indoors do because I start my chicks outside in the run, where I have more dramatic temperature changes during any given 24 hour period.
I've had my babies for a week now (which means they are probably a week and a half old) Under the lamp it is slightly over 85F, at the far end just under 80F. Currently they wander around the entire brooding bin comfortably so I'm thinking somewhere in that range to start. Their bin is in the garage which although not heated is also not drafty. That and temperature fluctuations are not as great.

The heating pad (same one you got) is scheduled to arrive today, so when it does I am going to build a support cage out of 1/2" hardware cloth. Would a vinyl sheet make a good poo-proof covering for the pad under the top bedding?

Last edited:
I just like plain old Press 'n Seal pressed onto a old, thin towel and draped over the pad. I've never used anything else because this works so well - it's soft and they love to snuggle and wrestle on top of it. I don't have to worry if what I'm using is over-insulating. So I guess I'd say try it and see how it either blocks or holds in heat, then make a decision. You might also ask over on the Mama Heating Pad thread - maybe someone's already done it and can tell you if it works or not. Others have put the heating pad on the inside of the frame, holding it up with small bungee cords, and then encasing the entire assembly inside a fleece pillowcase. That's @Beekissed preferred method and she's been doing this longer than I have.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

The link to the page where Bee shows her setup:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update/450

This chicks all look so great! We go pick up from Meyer mid May then mid July. First time:D
1 surprise chick each time
2 buff Orpington 2 black australorp then
3 easter Eggers
Can't wait to share them when it's finally time.

I am so excited. My baby chicks were shipped today from ideal. I ordered 10 silkies assorted. 2 glw. 2 standard white Cochins and 2 barnvelders. They r coming from Texas to New Hampshire. I hope they get here all alive.

I'm currently waiting on an order from McMurray that shipped Monday night. 25 ornamental layers plus a suprise .... Which I'll have no idea which one is the suprise unless it's a rooster. Kinda like playing Russian roulette. I'm just so nervous as we are approaching 3 days tomorrow in transit. I have a belly ache worried for the littles. And my 2 year old daughter will be with me the whole time. Please pray they arrive safely tomorrow morning.

I'm currently waiting on an order from McMurray that shipped Monday night. 25 ornamental layers plus a suprise .... Which I'll have no idea which one is the suprise unless it's a rooster. Kinda like playing Russian roulette. I'm just so nervous as we are approaching 3 days tomorrow in transit. I have a belly ache worried for the littles. And my 2 year old daughter will be with me the whole time. Please pray they arrive safely tomorrow morning.

I'm sending good vibes for a safe arrival. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom