Who is ordering from Murray McMurray ?

I bought 200 birds last year from McMurray in 3 separate shipments and was satisfied with the first 2 shipments and saddened by the third, but I am not convinced it was MM fault.

The third shipment contained both standard and bantams, and sadly, 4 of the 10 D'uccle bantams did not make the trip. The were literally trampled to death. I will never again mix standard with bantams in the same shipping box.

The first shipment of 100 there was 2 DOA and 3 died within 24 hours and if I recall correctly, the second shipment of 50 only had 1 DOA. MM credited my account for the lost birds.

All the birds I have from MM are very healthy. I am planning on buying another 150 birds from MM this year, so I guess I definitely recommend them.

Oh, one more thing.... I have been very impressed with MM sexing. I ordered 200 pullets and only got 2 roosters, which is 1% margin of error. Most hatcheries only refund past 10% error. MM's sexing is very accurate.

all the birds that they sent me were crappy
Jersey Giants - had more in commen with legshanns
Differt varity of mille Fleur
Majority were dead upon shipping

I have ordered from Mcmurray twice. Once 20 years ago and once this spring. I ordered pullets only on both occasions. The first batch contained 1 extra chick, it was a rooster. The second batch contained 2 extra chicks, both were roosters.

In both cases all the chicks arrived safely and grew up to be good layers. My only complaint is that it seems that I have a higher percentage of noisy birds than I have ever experienced. Oh and the Maran's that I ordered do not lay dark brown eggs. Their eggs are the same color as the rest of the brown egg layers. They are the only Maran's I have ever had, so maybe I had unrealistic expectations, but I am just surprised that Maran eggs are the same color as red star eggs.

BTW, you can opt out of the extra "exotic" chick if you want. It is a way for them to get rid of cockerels and you may not want any.

Quote:
legshanns ? Langshans
smile.png
or Leghorns
smile.png
or a little of both?
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have gotten nearly all my past birds from McMurray, as has my friend who got me into the chicken business. Never has a box arrived with dead or sick chicks, all thrived and were exactly the sexes we ordered, barring the straight runs, of course. I would guess combined it would amount to near 150 chicks. I would not hesitate one bit to order again from McMurray, although most of my Spring order will come from Ideal since they carry several that McMurray does not.

Lofty Dreams wrote:

all the birds that they sent me were crappy
Jersey Giants - had more in commen with legshanns
Differt varity of mille Fleur
Majority were dead upon shipping

"The majority were dead upon shipping? "
hmm.png

I ordered my first Chickens from them last spring. 25, and all arrived alive and healthy. I kept 6 for myself and sold the rest to other people. Mine are great and beautiful.I think if someones looking for a "perfect"representation of any breed they need to order from a breeder where they can see the parent stock. Im happy with my girls too. I kept 1 rooster that was straight run he treats his ladies with the utmost respect and the girls lay eggs like crazy,even now when its 22 degrees outside. I have Cochins,austrolorp,orpington, and light brahma. The austrolorp is broody and sitting on my cochins eggs for me!
Another neat thing about McMurray is you can see a video of the hatchery on you tube, it was also featured on Discovery Channels"dirty jobs".Just so you can get a feel for where your chicks come from...
Here is a photo of my Rooster Rex, and my light Brahma from McMurray.
26245_new_camera_003.jpg

26245_new_camera_014.jpg

Sometimes they throw in chicks thay are not the one you ordered.like substituting black minorca's for austrolopes,and so on....or buff minorcas for buff orps.it has happened to my fathers shipments,although he does not know the difference in breeds,and i happen to like Minorca's.

Back
Top Bottom