Who is ordering from Murray McMurray ?

Ordered from them for years and got 2 bad shipments in a row. so I stick with Ideal now. But I am in Texas and usually get my birds within 12 hours.

I ordered my flock from mcmurray, almost 2 months old now- one DoA, one arrived w/ a broken neck. All in all had 4 deaths from misc causes within the first 24 hours. Everyone else seems to be doing just fine, have one sick one @ 5 weeks, but have 24 large healthy birds.
Not an experience I would repeat, but they do vaccinate for you for a little bit extra.

I bought a 25 batch of mixed "Standard" breeds so I could take a look at different varieties of chicken(I also intentionally ordered 3 delaware pullets), but 20 of them ARE ALL ANCONAS D:< Nearly all of which seem to be roosters.
I would not buy from them again just because I was under the impression the 25 mixed bag woudl have at least 5-6 different breeds in it.
NOPE. JUST WHATEVER DIDNT SELL(Which is usually cockerels for understandable reasons). But they added in a pheonix chick(for free) which is cool, and the other 4 are polish and all very pretty.

I've been ordering from MM for 25 years, never--and I mean never--had a problem with them or their chicks. Never had a DOA or mislabeled bird. Last spring I order 31 birds from them, got 32 because they threw in an extra Black Star. Of those have lost only one--to a hawk which hardy was MM's fault. My only disappoint was that I ordered 6 straight run EE's hoping for 3 cockerels and ended up getting 5 pullets. The BS are all laying the EE's haven't started. Now, that being said, given my age, I'll probably not order from them again--I'm hoping by the time this flock reaches the end of its laying cycle it'll be time for me to quit this foolishness. However, never say never and if something were to happen to these birds prematurely I'd order from them again in a heart beat.

BTW, lest you think I'm getting out of birds early, I do have an order in for 8 pure Ameracuana chicks from a local breeder for next spring.

I wanted to chime in too because I hear a lot of bad press about McMurray.

I ordered 29 birds for shipment last April. I got 31 and ALL survived. One did have a bad leg from being crushed by her littermates in shipping and another has a wry tail but I love them all and wry tail was my first layer at 16.5 weeks old and is a very consistent layer.

I would absolutely order from them again. They had great customer service.

And I would get more easter eggers and more speckled sussex. <3

we got 25 Easter Eggers, and didnt get our free suprise chick, but oh well, no biggie, one of the chicks has a crooked toe, but is otherwise healthy and we love anything "special needs" around here, i sprang for the merks vaccines, and all 25 are about 4 weeks old now and happy healthy well loved lil babies, we will be ordering from them again in spring, and im not sure what breeds i will get yet.

I haven't ordered from them in years but they provided me, and countless others, with my start. When, as a kid, I did order from them the birds were always healthy & the service was great. A company can;t grow as big as they are & stay in business as long as they have w/o doing right by the majority of their customers.

I ordered polish hatching eggs from them a few years back. One was cracked on arrival and the rest had detached air cells, none of them hatched. It was probably UPS's fault for rough handling just as much as it was Mcmurray's for bad packaging, but either way, I was not very happy.

I am going to order 25 more this Spring, but I am undecided due to all the bad experiences people have had. Where is Mcmurray located? Maybe I should choose a hatchery closer to home.

Back
Top Bottom