Who is ordering from Murray McMurray ?

Quote:
I ordered 25 Rainbow Layer assortment + Free rare/exotic. They sent 30 chick from the September 28th hatch. At 7 weeks they are all alive and one appears to be a rooster. Got another thread going trying to figure out if there are actually any Easter Eggers in the bunch. (I really want some colored eggs.) I found this thread because I am trying to figure out what McMurray Easter Eggers can look like, since there can be such variation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423399

Quote:
So excited! I just ordered for the first week of March. I am getting:
6 Delaware
6 Buff Orpington
7Salmon Faverolles
6 New Hampshires

All Pullets
clap.gif

I ordered from them approx 8 years ago and loved theor birds. I was tempted to go with Ideal to save 10 bucks but heard some stories so stuck with what worked before.

Is it just me or does McMurray seem to be short of several types on their calendar right now?

I was looking over the on-line webpage a few days ago and it seemed that several breeds were listed as 'none available' for all of 2011. Peafowl, f'example.

(I haven't looked in previous years at this time of year, so it might just be November...)

(I'm wish-listing more than anything else - I might get a couple-three pullets, but nothing else this year as I'm up against my zoning numbers.)

im really glad that there are a few people who havw somehow by random chance ended up with a good experience from mcmurry. but i woul sspeculate thaty there are 5 bad and 1 horrible experiences for every good one from mcmurry. bad breeding, inordinately large number of defects in chicks, crossbeak and things like that.
they have a pretty crappy shipping policy, lots of times post offices can mess up, but often its the policy of the hatchery that causes the mishap. in mmm case, it seems they could avoid alot of disasters if they didnt send chicks out on a holliday weekend. or they could package them better. or not send out shipments midweek , expecting them to sit over the weekend in a post office and die.

I ordered 25 standard brown egg layer special.they sent 1 exotic which is an ee and 1 extra so 27 in all.1 died on day 2.They were all healthy and very wild and ready to eat and drink and have been very healthy and pretty ever since.They are 1m old now.Great bunch arrived well and on the day they said.I think they are great

I put together a couple of fantasy orders... but I simply don't have the room.

If I weren't hatching, I'd be ordering some of their rare eye candy chickens.

Quote:
First of all I seriously doubt your statistics given that I have received more than 6 shipments and well over 200 chicks from MM and never once had a dead bird nor a defective one. Apparently you had a bad experience so you're making a generalization from it. The same criticism could be made of every mail order hatchery from what I've read on posts here. Second, my last order was shipped on Memorial Day weekend and, not only were they well packaged, but every one arrived in excellent shape.

I'll be ordering 45 chickens. They will all be pullets, and to name all the breeds...

Standard
-Barred Rock
-Deleware
-Rhode Island Red
-Dark Brahma
-Buff Orpington
-Golden Laced Wyandotte
-Speckled Sussex
-Golden Polish
-White Silkie
-Silver Laced Wyandotte

Bantams
-Sultan
-Partridge Cochin
-Buff Silkie
-Blue Silkie
-Black Tailed White Japanese
-B. B. Red old English Game

Endangered Breeds
-Red Caps
-White Faced Black Spanish
-Golden Campines

Along with that, I'll be getting a blue ameraucana pullet and a blue wheaten ameraucana pulllet.

I have ordered from MM twice. On both occasions I have been 100% satisfied with the shipment of my chicks. They arrived in great condition and were healthy and beautiful. I would order from them again. I especially liked that I could order a mixed assortment of chicks. I think that some people don't take care of their chicks properly when they get them. Chicks are fragile, and need the right environment ASAP to survive. It is especially important when they have been shipped a long distance.
bun.gif

I ordered my first flock from McMurray three years ago - 12 Leghorns, 13 Light Brahmas, and one Dominique. One chick was injured on arrival and later died. Of the rest, half survived my initial ghastly mistakes, and were hardy, free-range chickens.

My second flock came this March - 52 Buff Orpingtons and one Dominique. All arrived alive and healthy. Lost a few to various mishaps. The only real problem was that most were roosters, but I guess that's the chance you take with straight run. We hope to order 25 hen chicks in the spring. Maybe I can fool some of the hens into going broody before the chicks get here, and palm off the mothering on them!

So yes, I'm satisfied with McMurray, and I'll order from them again. Like BunnyMomma said, my problems with my first flock were my own ignorance. Things went a lot better when I knew what to do!

Back
Top Bottom