Who is pipping and waiting right now??

Hatching eggs started today, 2 are peeping and trying to get out of those eggs! No guineas yet, only chicks. I put them in after the guinea eggs were in there a while so I could count the days since they need more days than chickens. I never hatched guinea eggs before, the shells sure are tough! I hope the little buggers can get out!

I just wanted to share my ONE new baby... very precious little girl... please meet ~*Kate*~, the only chick to hatch out of a batch of 28 Red and Silver Grey Dorking eggs.
love.gif

SGD3days5-13-20087-02-07AM.jpg

The loss of the other eggs is overshadowed by the joy of her presence.
smile.png

Last edited:
I am on day 18 and my patience is worn out.

I tried candlelling and wasnt sure what I was seeing. Soooooo I am going to candle tonight and remove the turner. Is is too early for that? tomorrow is the 19th

I have another batch to go on :|

No, my Kate is the very first chicken to ever hatch here, solid black. She is the oldest of the three look-alike PoufyHead Sisters. Her daddy was a Cochin/Silkie cross and her mama was a Barred Rock. She pipped and zipped in 15 minutes flat and laid her first egg at 18 weeks-always has to be first, LOL.

Last edited:
I went out to feed and water the chickens today and to my suprise
ep.gif
there were little chicks around mom today. This was a great find since I just had to get rid of a nest that didn't hatch last week and I lost count of the days this hen had been sitting on this nest. My wife and kids went out and we counted 5 chicks, two piping and about 6 - 7 eggs still under mom. Keep your fingers crossed this is the first time hatching any.

Ok this last Sunday I set 11 speckled sussex eggs and 4 mutts for my first test hatch in the incubator that sclanimals brought me. The incubator holds 240 eggs but we will start small.
smile.png
The incubator seems to do a good job of staying between 99.0-99.9 with blankets added on top. They were so nice and added a turner that I can operate from the outside of the incubator. I think it's going to be a loooong 18 days until they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom