Who is setting eggs today - 4/14?

Put some Barred Rock and Wyandote bantam eggs in on 4/17. First time incubating shipped eggs so I hope everything goes well.
fl.gif
The temp has been staying from 99.5-102 only 3 days in cant tell if they are developed or not. First time using this new incubator its a Little Giant model 9200 so hope everything goes well.

I set my first batch on 4/15! I'm very excited although I didn't get a good start since I had to toss one on day 3. Peeee yew! I see some faint veining on some and nothing (so far) on others. Some of them I see a dark mass in the center that doesn't move when I shift the egg or the flashlight I'm using to candle. The egg I got rid of was black and rotten, I'm worried that these eggs still in the 'bator are going to wind up the same way and that's what the mass is inside the egg. They all smell fine. Good luck to all the hatch buddies!

Did some candling today. I wasn't very organized about it... will give it a better effort when I can dedicate some quality time to it. Very exciting to see developing chicks!!! Some are too close to call and some of the brown eggs are too dark to see. was glad i did though.. found one that had a crack in it and discarded it. I have picked up on the comments of others bout exploding stinky eggs. Don't want to experience that! I was thrilled that this might actually work!!! Guess we'll find out on May 6th.

I did some candling last night and the BLRW and EE eggs from my birds are looking great. Unfortunately however, I didn't see any veining in any of the bantam eggs I got from a friend. I didn't look through all of them but the ones I did look in did seem to have a dark blob or two in the middle but I couldn't see any veining. I'm wondering if any of these eggs are fertile. Since I don't know the flock they came from I don't really know about the fertility rates or the number of roosters to hens. Its disappointing though because I really wanted some more bantams. I only have four and three of those are chicks and I don't know what sex they are. I have one grown bantam rooster and I was hoping to get him some ladies of his own. But he might be a Dad though because the blue eggs from EE are fertile and its a real possibility he's the father. I see him trying to make with her all the time but I assumed because he was so much smaller that he wouldn't be able to do the job. I have a BLRW rooster in with him but he's only 5 months old and runs from little George (my bantam) and George always runs him off from the hens which is easy to do because the flock is pretty small right. I'm thinking of separating George and my EE hen and collect and incubate the eggs to see if he really can breed with a larger hen!

My hen, "Hawk Girl"

My bantam rooster, "George"

Back
Top Bottom