Who is the roo?!

amaltheas2

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
Hello folks,

I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks, and I'll admit, I'm a brand new chicken owner. I got my girls on April 8th from a local Grange, they're supposed to be all hens ... but you know how that goes ;-)

The past week, someone has been practicing to crow and this morning, they were extremely successful. A whole hour of success. I tried to get pictures this afternoon, but they're a bit skittish, not sure if you can work with what I got ....

Can you help me identify the roo?! I suspect it is either the grey one (no idea what breed s/he is), the RIR, or the EE.

Let me see if I can get the photos to work ...
Buff: Rainbow
EE: Falcon
RIR: Sunshine Thief
Grey one: Arena
Black/White: Matilde

And the most cooperative of them, sort of: Matilde (with Sunshine Thief looking irritated in the background)

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Can you get a profile shot of the dominique (Matilde)? I'm thinking he's your boy. Pretty sure I see hackle feathers sprouting in that last picture.

amaltheas2

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
Can you get a profile shot of the dominique (Matilde)? I'm thinking he's your boy. Pretty sure I see hackle feathers sprouting in that last picture.

I caught her! Sorry for all the spam photos
hmm.png

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Check her neck feathers - do you see new feathers growing in that are pointy and skinny? If so that's a definite indication that 'she' is a cockerel. But those sickle feathers in the tail are a certain sign that he's a cockerel.

amaltheas2

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
Check her neck feathers - do you see new feathers growing in that are pointy and skinny? If so that's a definite indication that 'she' is a cockerel. But those sickle feathers in the tail are a certain sign that he's a cockerel.

Matilde is definitely has whiskers sprouting on her forehead. S/he is also one of the most dominant in the herd. It's amazing that this one never crossed my mind as being the cockerel.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom